Why become a member? ×

Thru-body stringing & Flatwounds?

Balcro

[quote name='molan' post='221544' date='Jun 18 2008, 05:10 PM']Only just noticed that my new Lakland JO 4 has a thru-body stringing option. I've never owned a bass with this before!
I realise there will be some different stresses on strings through the body given various angles etc. and that if I experiment and don't like it then I'm left with a set of strings to throw away.
However, I just wondered if in "real world" sense, there was much difference between the two options?[/quote]

My apologoes if this is slightly off at a tangent to the original post, but it may be relevant to "Wazz's" & CarazyKiwi's earlier replies.
I've been looking to treat myself to a set of Flats and had narrowed the choice down to La Bella or Webstrings/Detroit Bass. I looked at La Bella's catalogue this evening and they say Deep-Talking flats [u]"are unsuitable for thru-body stringing"[/u]. They suggest a "flexi-core flatwound" as a suitable alternative, but I can't find any such product in the catalogue. Google came up with just the one same reference at La Bella.

As I've got thru-body stringing with heavy brass saddles and no bridge-only option, I've e-mailed both La Bella & Webstrings for further info as to suitability. Anyone come across this before or have any recommendations.

Thanks folks.

Balcro.

Edited by Balcro

[quote name='Balcro' post='307012' date='Oct 15 2008, 12:35 PM']My apologoes if this is slightly off at a tangent to the original post, but it may be relevant to "Wazz's" & CarazyKiwi's earlier replies.
I've been looking to treat myself to a set of Flats and had narrowed the choice down to La Bella or Webstrings/Detroit Bass. I looked at La Bella's catalogue this evening and they say Deep-Talking flats [u]"are unsuitable for thru-body stringing"[/u]. They suggest a "flexi-core flatwound" as a suitable alternative, but I can't find any such product in the catalogue. Google came up with just the one same reference at La Bella.
As I've got thru-body stringing with heavy brass saddles and no bridge-only option, I've e-mailed both La Bella & Webstrings for further info as to suitability. Anyone come across this before or have any recommendations.
Thanks folks. Balcro.[/quote]

Further to the above, I also mailed Picato, as I'd never been to their site before.
1. They (Tony Roberts) said the standard length string -766FLW- was not long enough, but they could supply a string of suitable length. They were silent on thru-body stringing.

2. Webstrings/Detroit Bass replied courtesy of Wayne Preis. More informative. I quote "In regard to your question: first if the bass is 34" scale you will probably be fine. Keep in mind that flats will break much easier than a round wound string
so be sure that the angle over the bridge is not too steep." Thank you Wayne.

3. La Bella. Question re- "flexi-core flatwounds" - no reponse at all.

So I think that is it: Flatwounds are inherently more likely to break (in general?) or maybe more so with through-body stringing. However no one knows which angle is too steep and no one's saying openly how much angle is too much. It's all down to physics and mettalurgy. As I'm a stubborn critter, I'm going to modify the angle over the bridge with some custom cut tap-washers and see what happens. Just don't stand in front of me while I'm playing.

Balcro.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='310728' date='Oct 20 2008, 07:38 PM']+1 for through body TIJF - so far so good anyway. I thing this is in one of the myriad of threads on this subject or maybe the basschat wiki. It has come up before.[/quote]
[quote name='kennyrodg' date='Oct 20 2008, 05:14 PM']- If it helps ive used TI jazz flats on a thru' body.The were fine.The Labella D/T's have a much higher tension than the TI's so maybe thats where the concern is.[/quote]

Thanks guys. I've scanned many a web-site & even other forums on this. I think think this question of tension is part of the problem. I gather that "Fenders" are also high tension, while the TI'JF's are probably the softest. Perhaps that's the tiny amount of nickel in the composition.

Balcro.

I've used TI Jazz Flats through-body for some time without problem but I did break an A string (at the bridge) a few weeks ago. First broken string since I gave up on plectrums over twenty years ago.

Anyway, I'm not actually convinced that the sound is much different (if at all) whether through-body or through-bridge. Even if there is a difference many other factors make much more difference, YMMV.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Balcro' post='307012' date='Oct 15 2008, 11:35 AM']they say Deep-Talking flats [u]"are unsuitable for thru-body stringing"[/u].[/quote]

if proof be needed....

[attachment=17076:CIMG0284.JPG]

This was a pretty much unused E. Didn't even make it to pitch. La Bella Deep Talkers DO NOT like string through bridges :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='314562' date='Oct 25 2008, 02:51 PM']Anyway, I'm not actually convinced that the sound is much different (if at all) whether through-body or through-bridge. Even if there is a difference many other factors make much more difference, YMMV.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='fretlessguy' post='314512' date='Oct 25 2008, 01:20 PM']I have a Fender 54 P-Bass Reissue with body thru stringing. It has a set of TIs on it. No problems.
My Carvin ABG has body thru stringing with a set of GHS Precision Flats on it. No Problems thus far.
:)[/quote]

Well, I think Beedster's picture paints a thousand words, doesn't it.

In the end I chickened out. I have little cash to spend on what could be a potential disaster. I went back to heavy roundwounds.
The consensus appears to be that TI Jazz Flats are the most accommodating brand for thru-body stringing (although not infallible) and maybe GHS Precision Flats are a possibility, although they don't seem very common over this side of the pond.

Never did get a reply from La Bella.

Thank you all fro your contributions.
Balcro.

The only thru-strung bass I have flats on is my mustang which is wearing a set of Thomastik JF324 jazz flats with no problems at all.

I recall a thread on the old dudepit where some flats were being manufactured specifically for thru stringing on 50's style precisions and were to be sold exclusively by Steve under his 'vintage bass trading' label. I think LaBella were going to make them and they were going to be similar to Deep Talkin' flats, but with the outer ribbon wrapped obliquely around the core to prevent it frombreaking at the bridge, but I don't know if they ever did get manuactured or if any are available anywhere, but I'm sure there were some pics posted at the time.

I wonder whether a company like picato might be interested in [s]nicking [/s]developing the idea?