Why become a member? ×

What is an "acoustic" band?

solo4652

[quote name='paul_c2' timestamp='1481206330' post='3190534']
Acoustic guitar(s) --> Acoustic band.

[/quote]

That's a shame, the American Old-Time band I play in doesn't have any guitars and is definitely acoustic, we frequently play gigs with no amplification or PA at all, even for vocals.

I think the OP's instinct is right and that it's a bad idea from a marketing point of view to have 'Acoustic' in the name of the band.

I've been listening to Simple Minds' new album "Acoustic", which is a bunch of their classics played on acoustic guitars, but still with electric bass, drum kit & synths (though they might be analogue, so that would count as acoustic).

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1481278485' post='3191114']
That's a shame, the American Old-Time band I play in doesn't have any guitars and is definitely acoustic, we frequently play gigs with no amplification or PA at all, even for vocals.

I think the OP's instinct is right and that it's a bad idea from a marketing point of view to have 'Acoustic' in the name of the band.
[/quote]

What's the instrumentataion? "Band" could be interpreted in a wider context (like, a concert band or a big band) or a narrower context which assumes drums/bass/guitar(s) and maybe others like keys/piano, maybe extras like sax/trumpet/trombone etc etc

I don't think you'd label a symphony orchestra as "acoustic band", for example (taking an extreme example). And I suspect many jazz ensembles don't use the label "acoustic band" even if they are all playing acoustic versions of their instruments.