Why become a member? ×

Fender US Jazz ID

Marky L

Hey there Fender aficionados. I was hoping I might be able to leech some of your vast experience and try and confirm if my Fender Jazz is (or not) a kosher MIA bass.

So, I bought it around 5 or 6 years back off ebay (choosing to go for this instead of a Ricky Blackstar .. pfft!) from a guy selling it in Southern Ireland, for a friend if I remember correctly for about £450. Black US Fender Jazz with a white scratchplate and rosewood board. I did speak to him before and after getting the bass and he seemed like a straight up guy.

So it arrived in A1 condition and I was reasonably happy except for the horrible Strat style knobs on it. I wanted to get it set up and so took it to the local guitar shop who said words to the effect "Yeah it's a Fender, but they had a period at the end of the 90's where they sent US parts to Mexico for construction.. probably worth £350". So that pissed me off a bit. As is I did nothing about it. Replaced the plate for a black one that did not fit very snugly and I had to drill an extra hole in the bass to fit it. I can't actually recall if it was a genuine Fender plate I put on, I think so.

Anyway, I have taken some very poor pics on a crappy camera with no lighting but it may help. Please ask any questions and I'll try to answer.

Serial number N901850
Logo decal says - Jazz Bass Made in USA
On the right of the headstock is another decal saying - American Traditional
The machine heads have no obvious makers marks
The underneath of the old plate has a piece of masking tape with a signature and 7 7 99 written on it.

Thanking ye all
Mark

[attachment=14730:jazz_front.jpg][attachment=14731:headstock_front.jpg][attachment=14732:headstock_r
ear.jpg][attachment=14733:knobs.jpg]

Found this on Talkbass - looks like it was the precursor to the Highway one possibly!

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450518&highlight=fender+american+traditional"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.p...can+traditional[/url]

Steve

Appreciate your input here guys.

So I get the feel that it's US wood, sent to Mexico for building with Mexican parts.. hmm a Tex/mex special :)

Maybe I paid a bit on the high side for it, but it's a sweet machine to play, but I think I would change the PUPS at some point now.

Mark

[quote name='birdy' post='305922' date='Oct 14 2008, 12:22 AM']Found this on Talkbass - looks like it was the precursor to the Highway one possibly!

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450518&highlight=fender+american+traditional"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.p...can+traditional[/url]

Steve[/quote]

Fantastic linkage there Steve. Interesting stuff and it's exactly as I have. Ugh that one piece pickguard is nasty, I'm glad I sorta standardised mine a bit more.

[quote name='Marky L' post='306016' date='Oct 14 2008, 09:24 AM']Fantastic linkage there Steve. Interesting stuff and it's exactly as I have. Ugh that one piece pickguard is nasty, I'm glad I sorta standardised mine a bit more.[/quote]

No Worries, how does it sound and play? Some of the guys at Talkbass seemed pretty impressed!

Steve

[quote name='birdy' post='306028' date='Oct 14 2008, 09:55 AM']No Worries, how does it sound and play? Some of the guys at Talkbass seemed pretty impressed!

Steve[/quote]

Well it plays good, and I do like the neck, there is a dead spot but I do have heavier strings on now so maybe the truss rod needs tweaking. Also I think the PUPs could be improved. But I do like it and its great to play, so I suppose I just wanted to know it's pedigree :)

Mark

[quote name='artisan' post='306219' date='Oct 14 2008, 01:46 PM']i bought an olympic white one of these of beedster a year or so ago.
was a nice bass but i agree the one piece plate looks sh*te,changed mine too-then sold it on.
i got £350 for mine.[/quote]

Thought that was the best Jazz I've played personally. Way better than my old 2002 MIA or my old Geddy Lee and on a par sound-wise with my old CS :)