Why become a member? ×

Steinberger XL2

Silent Fly

I am selling my Steinberger XL2. I had it for years but I don't play it anymore.

It is in good conditions – no problems with the electronics, hardware... Frets also in good conditions has the bass has not being played much.

The bass comes with a Steinberger gig bag (not in very good conditions), an extra gig-bad and the string adaptor that allows the use of standard strings.

You are welcome to try it – I live in London SW18.

Price £1500

[attachment=14616:s1.jpg]
[attachment=14617:s2.jpg]

[b]=== SOLD ===[/b]

Edited by Silent Fly

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='323564' date='Nov 6 2008, 05:00 PM']Is grandma still available? Can she iron?
Swap for a Lakland 55-01 if you can deliver :-)

Sorry. Have a bump on me. Wish i could afford it.[/quote]

You can have Granny willingly and a staright swap for a 55-01 is one I'd snap your hand off for. As for Ironing, she can do it but she makes lot of noise while doing it, its probably whinging from the whip marks...!

:)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='323758' date='Nov 6 2008, 09:46 PM']CK,

What is it about Steinies? I'm attracted to 'em like a moth to a naked bulb..... :huh:[/quote]

For a moment there Bob I thought you were talking about Steinlager. :)

They're still very novel I think and a unique combination of radical features and practicality. (Although obviously the lack of a body was a problem for some but thats because size priorities had been placed marginally ahead of comfort. Although this was later addressed with the M-series, I think the M-Series might have actually been a better introduction model). I'd suggest this bass is a master piece of industrial design and deserves to be considered up there with the best.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='304564' date='Oct 11 2008, 07:47 PM']I am selling my Steinberger XL2. I had it for years but I don't play it anymore.

It is in good conditions – no problems with the electronics, hardware... Frets also in good conditions has the bass has not being played much.

The bass comes with a Steinberger gig bag (not in very good conditions), an extra gig-bad and the string adaptor that allows the use of standard strings.

You are welcome to try it – I live in London SW18.

Price £1500

[attachment=14616:s1.jpg]
[attachment=14617:s2.jpg][/quote]
hi

super nice bass!

can I have more pic's????

[email protected]

[quote name='flychris' post='332371' date='Nov 19 2008, 03:25 PM']I don't know steinberger basses....

Is there any reason for this let me say "high price"... High end bass ? Collector Bass ? other ?
(not a question about discussing the price but just to my information about steinberger basses....)[/quote]

I depends what you mean by "high price" and what you use as a comparison. Compared to a high-end Fodera it is cheap :)

Apart from philosophical discussions... It is a bass difficult to find, no longer in production, it is in good conditions, great design and it was quite expensive when it was in production.

If you just need information, I recommend you Google it. I am sure you will find tons of information about the XL2.

[quote name='flychris' post='332371' date='Nov 19 2008, 03:25 PM']I don't know steinberger basses....

Is there any reason for this let me say "high price"... High end bass ? Collector Bass ? other ?
(not a question about discussing the price but just to my information about steinberger basses....)[/quote]

It's a great bass, and worth every penny of the asking price. I'd love to buy it, I've wanted one for ages, but alas, I'm skint.

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='332617' date='Nov 19 2008, 09:42 PM']I depends what you mean by "high price" and what you use as a comparison. Compared to a high-end Fodera it is cheap :)

Apart from philosophical discussions... It is a bass difficult to find, no longer in production, it is in good conditions, great design and it was quite expensive when it was in production.

If you just need information, I recommend you Google it. I am sure you will find tons of information about the XL2.[/quote]

Sure, cheap compare to a fodera ! :huh: As you said, more a philosophical discussion... cause 1500 £ is quite a lot for me...
I find different information on Google before asking here, but no mention about price when it was in production etc...
and was not able to say if it was a bass difficult to find for exemple...

But, Now, I'm a bit more informed about this one, thank you ! :huh:

And a Bump !!!

As far as I remember they cost about £1500 when they were in production. That was a good deal more back in the 80's mind, I don't know, maybe £2-3000 these days. I stand to be corrected. Carbon-graphite moulding was just in it's infancey in those days and has come on a long way now.

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='flychris' post='332637' date='Nov 19 2008, 10:13 PM']Sure, cheap compare to a fodera ! :) As you said, more a philosophical discussion... cause 1500 £ is quite a lot for me...
I find different information on Google before asking here, but no mention about price when it was in production etc...
and was not able to say if it was a bass difficult to find for exemple...

But, Now, I'm a bit more informed about this one, thank you ! :huh:

And a Bump !!![/quote]

Don't confuse these with the basses that are currently put out under the name Steinberger, such as the Spirit, or other copies like Hohners etc. The original Steinbergers are all graphite instruments with a very distinctive sound, and at the time of their release, were total ground breakers in the way people thought about what a bass should look like, how it should sound and how it should feel.

If you're really interested in learning about the brand, start here [url="http://www.steinbergerworld.com/"]http://www.steinbergerworld.com/[/url] . This is an excellent site on the brand.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='332658' date='Nov 19 2008, 09:42 PM']Don't confuse these with the basses that are currently put out under the name Steinberger, such as the Spirit, or other copies like Hohners etc. The original Steinbergers are all graphite instruments with a very distinctive sound, and at the time of their release, were total ground breakers in the way people thought about what a bass should look like, how it should sound and how it should feel.

If you're really interested in learning about the brand, start here [url="http://www.steinbergerworld.com/"]http://www.steinbergerworld.com/[/url] . This is an excellent site on the brand.[/quote]

Thanks for you comments bassaussie. I totaly agree with what you say.

...and I completely forgot to mention steinbergerworld.com - It is a very interesting site full of information.

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='332905' date='Nov 20 2008, 11:11 AM']Thanks for you comments bassaussie. I totaly agree with what you say.

...and I completely forgot to mention steinbergerworld.com - It is a very interesting site full of information.[/quote]

No probs. Sadly, some brand names have suffered over the years because of the products that are produced more recently under those names (Tobias, Steinberger, Trace Elliot, Jackson etc). All were amazing brands in the beginning, but the value of their names has been diluted by mass production. I think it's important to remember what they stood for in their hey day.

Personally, I own an L2 from around 1983. It's a great bass, very different to everything else I've got, and it's got a sound that's very distinctive. I used to own an XL2 very similar to the one you're selling, and it was also an amazing bass. As for the price, that's always difficult. It took me 4 years to track down the L2 I have now, as original Steinbergers rarely come up for sale. If a person is desperate to get their hands on one, the cost can easily be over ruled by the convenience of having one available to buy.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='333366' date='Nov 20 2008, 07:52 PM']I'm hoping that one day I'll stumble across a Trans trem model[/quote]

Ha ..... join the queue!!! :)

I actually tried one at the Bass Gallery 4 or 5 years back. It was pretty cool, with a price tag to match. I think they were asking close to £2000. I probably should've bought it, as they're as rare as hen's teeth, but the price put me off.