Why become a member? ×

Thunderbird alternatives

markdavid

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='305111' date='Oct 12 2008, 10:58 PM']Good plan I couldn't believe it when I put it on.

For me it would be a problem because I take my left hand off of the bass when playing open notes.[/quote]

Was it a Gibson Thunderbird or an Epiphone Thunderbird? I have owned an Epiphone and found the neck dive bad until I moved the strap button. I now own a Gibson Thunderbird and it does not have neck dive at all.

Of the T’bird type basses out there around that price, definitely my choice would be the Spector Rex (/Rex Brown) – especially in the “holoflash” finish like the pic. There was a 2nd hand 5-string recently in a local music shop for £350, sweet player and sounded v "rock" but with a modern “hi-fi” edge to it too.

Stretching to £500 or so you might even get lucky and pick up an old unloved genuine Gibson RD or RD Artist, which have a more rounded T’bird shape and 2+2 headstock. These were Gibson’s top of the line bass in their day (late ‘70’s / early 80’s), but never really caught on mainly due to weight and complex Moog electrics, and as they’re so unknown these days can sometimes be had cheap. Not especially neck-heavy, just …… [b]heavy[/b]. Heavier than anything you’ve ever played. But the sound is worth it, massive and brutal - love mine, just swap to the Rick now and again to rest the back...... :wacko:

[quote name='Shaggy' post='305349' date='Oct 13 2008, 11:46 AM']Of the T’bird type basses out there around that price, definitely my choice would be the Spector Rex (/Rex Brown) – especially in the “holoflash” finish like the pic. There was a 2nd hand 5-string recently in a local music shop for £350, sweet player and sounded v "rock" but with a modern “hi-fi” edge to it too.[/quote]

+1.... I LOVE mine :)

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='305101' date='Oct 12 2008, 10:50 PM']Easy - I moved the front strap button on mine to the neck heel area - cured the neck dive 100%.

A stupid design fault easily cured. No idea why they're not made with the button in the best position by default.[/quote]

i think i heard somewhere that its because gibson thunderbirds are neck through? think its something to do with the shape of the heel or something and so you cant move it like you can on epi's? not 100% sure though, someone can probably say.

[quote name='Shaggy' post='305349' date='Oct 13 2008, 11:46 AM']Of the T’bird type basses out there around that price, definitely my choice would be the Spector Rex (/Rex Brown) – especially in the “holoflash” finish like the pic. There was a 2nd hand 5-string recently in a local music shop for £350, sweet player and sounded v "rock" but with a modern “hi-fi” edge to it too.

Stretching to £500 or so you might even get lucky and pick up an old unloved genuine Gibson RD or RD Artist, which have a more rounded T’bird shape and 2+2 headstock. These were Gibson’s top of the line bass in their day (late ‘70’s / early 80’s), but never really caught on mainly due to weight and complex Moog electrics, and as they’re so unknown these days can sometimes be had cheap. Not especially neck-heavy, just …… [b]heavy[/b]. Heavier than anything you’ve ever played. But the sound is worth it, massive and brutal - love mine, just swap to the Rick now and again to rest the back...... :wacko:[/quote]

My RD Artist '77 in natural maple sold on ebay for about £450 i think, original case and gigged condition. Was gutted!