Why become a member? ×

Changing my cabs advice please

patrikmarky

My rig consist of a tc bh 800 head with 1 x tc rs 210 & tc 212 cabs ..I'm thinking of downsizing I'm thinking I'll keep the head and look for a couple of 1x 12 cabs @ 8ohms that can get me close to the 800 watts power of the head ..I've had the markbass ny121 ext cab so that's a possibility though power wise they may be a bit under powered..anyone have any other options ...the cabs with covers have a value of around £1185.00 new ...

Hi Patrick.
I guess it depends if you are planning on selling them and only using the money from the sale for the new kit.
Market isn't great at the minute, so don't know how much you'll get for your TC kit.
Would you be willing to buy second hand? What kind of music do you play, and what type of sound do you go for?

It depends if you are looking to get the same volume from a smaller, more efficient rig. I've got a couple of Barefaced One10 cabs and they are ridiculous in terms of the volume I can get from them vs their size. However, on the bigger stages there are times when I wish I had just that bit more. After reading Kevin Deans reviews of the new Ashdown Rootmaster-EVO 12" white cabs & the fact it knocked a couple of BF Super Compactsout of his rig, I am seriously interested in trying these out too. I believe there's an upgrade option that gives 700W speakers in a 12" 10KG cab.

As FuNkShUi asks; would you be willing to buy second hand? You'll get better value for money that way...
Trouble with buying amps & cabs, is that when trying them in a shop, or someone's house
you're not really able to asses them very well, particularly at high volume...

Keep your eye on the marketplace here, and if you can - see if the seller will let you try the cab(s) in a rehearsal studio somewhere...
Some BC'ers seem to store their gear in such places too. Also, maybe try different heads too. Do you need 800W?

Also, as said above - could you end up losing money, as the marketplace isn't great atm

EDIT: I've got a couple of Epifani 110 cabs, and they are brilliant. Haven't tried the Epifani 1x12 but I'm sure it's great
A lot of love on here for Vanderkley cabs too

Edited by Marc S

I very rarely have to use the full rig even then I run at probably 50% ...Norfolk area venues are getting smaller and smaller ..very few arena venues left ;))...and would definitely be looking used ideally trades I used to gigged markbass cmd with the ext cab that coped easily with a very loud drummer ...love the bh 800 head with the toneprint ..

I have an EBS 112 neo available (sorry if this is the wrong place to mention it!) great cabs. I used to use 2 of these but now I have a 2 x 10 that I use with one of them. Perfect combi. 112 goes to rehearsals then add 2x 10 on gigs. Very small rooms use just a 112.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1477924635' post='3165280']
It depends if you are looking to get the same volume from a smaller, more efficient rig. I've got a couple of Barefaced One10 cabs and they are ridiculous in terms of the volume I can get from them vs their size. However, on the bigger stages there are times when I wish I had just that bit more. After reading Kevin Deans reviews of the new Ashdown Rootmaster-EVO 12" white cabs & the fact it knocked a couple of BF Super Compactsout of his rig, I am seriously interested in trying these out too. I believe there's an upgrade option that gives 700W speakers in a 12" 10KG cab.
[/quote]

Largo, could you point me in the right direction for that review please, I'm interested but too dozy to find it :blush:

Cheers,
Karl.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1477924635' post='3165280'] After reading Kevin Deans reviews of the new Ashdown Rootmaster-EVO 12" white cabs & the fact it knocked a couple of BF Super Compactsout of his rig, I am seriously interested in trying these out too.
[/quote]

After many posts about amps, cabs and running with neither. . . before I drew any conclusions, I'd check exactly why Kevin did what he did. His situation seemed to be very specific to him.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/292963-ashdown-rm-112t-v-barefaced-super-compact"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/292963-ashdown-rm-112t-v-barefaced-super-compact[/url]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1477935077' post='3165383']
After many posts about amps, cabs and running with neither. . . before I drew any conclusions, I'd check exactly why Kevin did what he did. His situation seemed to be very specific to him.
[/quote]

Still got me curious though....