Why become a member? ×

Jamiroquai - Emergency On Planet Earth, 23 years on.

interpol52

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1477696572' post='3163967']
Is it just me. Or does Paul Turner lack a bit of soul in his bass playing. It's almost like he's been to music school, but never really had that something.
[/quote]

I respectfully disagree. Listen to All Good in the Hood, for example - or some of the stuff he did with Shuffler. I think he has excellent feel, but once you've heard Zender's playing, all others pale by comparison. That kid had funk deep in his bones, at a crazily young age.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1478634707' post='3170526']

Good grief, they must have been hellish for any kind of speedy runs and such, no? Can you tell me a bit about what they were like to play?
[/quote]

I loved them actually and I spent a LOT of time playing speedy runs. I was kind of noted for it in those days. ;-) I play with a pick and both pick and fret extremely lightly; I found them very expressive and am actually thinking of going back to them.

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1478681305' post='3170795']
One of THE great bass albums, as are the next four. SZ was a hard act to follow but IMO Nick Fyffe pulled it off nicely.
[/quote]

For me Stu just had something else. Touch, feel, tone, a combination of the above. One of my favourite players, certainly on those albums.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1478646331' post='3170679']

I loved them actually and I spent a LOT of time playing speedy runs. I was kind of noted for it in those days. ;-) I play with a pick and both pick and fret extremely lightly; I found them very expressive and am actually thinking of going back to them.
[/quote]

How did you set your action, and was fretbuzz/flapping a problem? Which brand did you use? I imagine they'd be great for slap bass.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1478712141' post='3171137']

How did you set your action, and was fretbuzz/flapping a problem? Which brand did you use? I imagine they'd be great for slap bass.
[/quote]

As Martin Petersen will tell you, I like my action VERY low. I generally play so lightly that fretbuzz isn't really a problem, but having said that when I want to I utilise it for a bit of extra grit. I used Rotosound - still do - and was never much of a slapper really. I suppose my style was always guitaristic, although I've lost some facility in recent years due to nerve problems.

To be honest 35-95 are not that light, plenty of people use lighter. Mark King uses 30-90, Les Claypool used to use two 30s and two 60s, Joey DeMaio uses 40,50,60,70 (or did when I met him). I'm sure there are people on here who use lighter.

I'd agree Zender had a really nice approach on that early Jamiroquai stuff, really understated souly playing like on Blow Your Mind, really busy but integrated on If I Like It I Do It, he was obviously just brimming with confidence and feeling it.

Did he ever do anything else after he quit Jamiroquai though? Seems odd that he effectively disappeared.

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1478944976' post='3172836']
I'd agree Zender had a really nice approach on that early Jamiroquai stuff, really understated souly playing like on Blow Your Mind, really busy but integrated on If I Like It I Do It, he was obviously just brimming with confidence and feeling it.

Did he ever do anything else after he quit Jamiroquai though? Seems odd that he effectively disappeared.
[/quote]

I think his main gig recently has been with Mark Ronson.

He played on the album 'Version' and tours in his live band.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1477598352' post='3163315']
For me there finest record. Bass playing from Mr X. which I believe is Ernie Mckowne from various later Incognito fame. It's just fantastic playing. http://youtu.be/y9DHDTu0jT0
[/quote]
Although Emergency on Planet Earth is my personal fave Jamiroquai album, the playing by Mr. X on this song is unreal. Ever since you posted this last year I've listened to it more and more. Zender's version is good, and it grooves, but this is just effortless in comparison.

Edited by cameltoe