Why become a member? ×

Technical speaker question (for tonight's gig)

leschirons

Had to drop off my rig (Genz Shuttle 6 combo + ext cab) at the singer's house so they can get there early to set stuff up for tonight. Handle snapped on the combo and it's hit the deck from 1 metre.

No idea if this is going to work tonight. I have a spare preamp tube but who knows.

The guitarist is now bringing a Hartke head in case I need it. Question is, on the combo cab, there is a short fixed speakon cable which goes to the head and also ( on the cab) a speakon and jack out to feed an ext cab. Can I use the speakon or jack "out" as an input into the cab. I'm not sure how this is all wired up. I won't have time to remove the Genz amp carrier tonight and can't balance his head on top of it as the cable will be too short to reach the higher head if all that makes sense.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

Bad luck. It looks like you shouldn't have a problem. You should be able to just use the cab as a cab and it looks from the manual as if all the sockets are just normal parallel sockets. Just make sure you take a couple of spare speaker leads.. The Hartke may only take jack leads.

Let's hope ot is still all working when you get there. Of course with something dropped like that even the cab might have suffered, can you go straight through the pa at a pinch?

I had a cab drop from nearly that sort of height and it was the speakers that were damaged. The amp would have been unscathed had not the jack lead rammed into the pre stage ... but otherwise it would have survived the 'drop'

I'd be very nervous of the chassis' myself.

But assuming the cab isn't damaged, you should be able to drive it from that ext socket..IF you unplug the input lead..
But all this is not ideal, IMO.. good luck

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1475931628' post='3149862']
Bad luck. It looks like you shouldn't have a problem. You should be able to just use the cab as a cab and it looks from the manual as if all the sockets are just normal parallel sockets. Just make sure you take a couple of spare speaker leads.. The Hartke may only take jack leads.

Let's hope ot is still all working when you get there. Of course with something dropped like that even the cab might have suffered, can you go straight through the pa at a pinch?
[/quote]

The Hartke 2500 has 2 x 1/4 jacks out min load 4 ohms so worst way I could just run the 400watt 1 x 12 Genz ext cab at 175 watts as my backline monitor and then DI into the P.A as we have two 600 watt subs. I'll take some speaker leads with me. I'll fire the combo up as soon as I'm there and if there are obvious problems, maybe use the option above for peace of mind but good to know that I can input into the output so to speak.

It's not going to be a loud gig as it's a birthday party in a restaurant. Just that the guitarist always prefers me to split my cabs either side of the kit so he gets exactly what I get my side.

Not sure how fragile these neo cabs are but no doubt I'll find out tonight. I'll run the combo into my amp guy on Monday as there are no more gigs for a couple of weeks after tonight.

Thanks to everyone that replied. Much appreciated.

I've got the same rig amongst others, I've got a speakon to speakon coupler for exactly this reason as the cable is short isn't it? I think Maplins stock them if you are passing one before they close!

Bit far from France I suppose! Lol

Good luck, fingers crossed.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Just got in. It fired up and I had no problems at the gig. I've been really damn lucky but will still get it checked over next week. Will take the amp sleeve off tomorrow and see if I can refit the handle (properly) ha ha.

Thanks for all your replies.