Why become a member? ×

Aggressive sounding replacement pickup for Squier VM P5?

Painy

I absolutely love my Squier VM P5 bass to play and it sounds pretty good too me too (especially after KiOgon helped me out with a bit of a modification) but I'd like to see how good it could sound with a pickup upgrade.
I'd like a really aggressive sounding pickup with loads of grindy upper high mids (rather than harsh treble) but still want a full, deep, rounded bottom end.
I'm equally interested to hear people's suggestions based on their experience of 4 string pickups if there is a 5 string version available (Quarter Pounders for example).
Any suggestions would be much appreciated as I really don't know where to start.

The QP has more bass than a stock P bass pickup, but it is also weaker in the mids. It is not as clanky.

The Dimarzio Will Power is thick and clanky but I have no idea if they do a 5 string. I think they do some custom ones. Nordstrand will make anything you like and the increased charge for a custom is pretty small. Might be worth emailing them.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1475242743' post='3144349']
Actually the Fender P5 pickup fits that description, and I've seen a few floating about used from owners that have switched them out for Nordstrand etc. If you see one for a good price, jump on it!
[/quote]

I've seen a couple come up on eBay for quite reasonable money before now but didn't know if they would be what I'm looking for. That could be worth a try too then thanks.

Think I may have found the one - a Delano PMVC 5FE (with the big MM style chunky pole pieces). Would need a bit of routing to fit as it has equal sized shells (rather than 2 wide + 3 wide like my bass) but I don't mind that. I'll just have to have a word with a local luthier about the routing and start saving my pocket money.

Edited by Painy