Why become a member? ×

badass bridge please help advice needed

ian

its not difficult, just boring. you line put the badass on, and string it up. move the strings so they're straight, mark either side of them with a pen/pencil or whatever, take th badass off and use a circular file. it takes ages. thats how my dad did mine, anyway.

[quote name='ian' post='301545' date='Oct 7 2008, 05:17 PM']hi when you buy a badass II
I know they dont come grooved
does anyone know is it hard to do and how do you do it thanks in advance ian[/quote]

hi Ian,

if you file the saddles correctly, you will get more sustain than from the pre cut saddle Badass

Ian

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='302608' date='Oct 8 2008, 10:52 PM']Contact area innit, same as my the badass is big and machined at the bottom.[/quote]

Only if you file a slot to fit the exact string gauge that you're using, otherwise the preslotted ones will be just as good. I defy anyone without the hearing of a bat to be able to tell the difference though.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='302608' date='Oct 8 2008, 10:52 PM']Contact area innit, same as my the badass is big and machined at the bottom.[/quote]

Unless in filing it yourself you completely re-design the badass saddles, it won't make a difference. Both designs have roughly the same amount of contact area, in the sense of what will limit/dampen string vibration.

The advantage with the plain saddles is that you can put the grooves in EXACTLY the right place for your bass. Especially important if you're using it as a direct replacement on a Fender as there's a good chance that you'll end up with a better compromise between string spacing, pole-piece lining up and the edge of fingerboard.

[quote name='ian' post='301545' date='Oct 7 2008, 05:17 PM']hi when you buy a badass II
I know they dont come grooved
does anyone know is it hard to do and how do you do it thanks in advance ian[/quote]

That reads like some strange avant-garde limerick.