Why become a member? ×

Calling all Lefties.

MikeB

[quote name='Buzz' post='19188' date='Jun 17 2007, 04:33 PM']I'm a lefty in the sense that I write with my left hand.

Apart from that, right handed bass playing, right handed mouse use, right footed for football, right joystick, scissors in either....blah blah blah.
When I started bass, playing right handed just felt right to me, trying to play left just felt odd. It's probably down to the fact that I'm quite well co-ordinated with both hands now seeing as I do most stuff with the right, yet the left sees use for writing/drawing/painting eg.[/quote]

I'm a bit mixed up like you, Buzz. I seem to do every one-handed thing with my left hand (keep it clean guys!) such as writing, throwing a ball, holding a spoon, yet most two-handed things like holding a cricket bat or knife and fork I do right handed. I'm also right footed. Holding a bass or guitar right handed just feels totally wrong, which I find a real pain because of the lack of leftie instruments around.

I guess one day I might actually go for a custom built bass, but not sure I can justify the expense. What have the rest of you lefties who actually play left handed done? I'm a Fender man so have an American P and Standard (Mexican) J as these are virtually the only leftie's Fender do. They also do the De Luxe J left-handed but only in a couple of finishes, and not Natural which I quite like.

well i've had my share of Pbass copies, switched to warwick and have recently added a rather nice shuker Jazz to my collection...its so frustrating seeing all those basses in the shop and not being able to have a proper go (you don't get a proper feel for a bass holding it upside down)

I'm a left-hander playing right.

Why does it matter, though? Shurely you have to use both hands to play the bass, and they both need to be equally dextrous? I've never understood why you'd learn to play the rarer, more expensive instrument, when you need to train both hands from scratch anyway.

Just to be contrarian, like.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='19473' date='Jun 18 2007, 09:16 AM']I'm a left-hander playing right.

Why does it matter, though? Shurely you have to use both hands to play the bass, and they both need to be equally dextrous? I've never understood why you'd learn to play the rarer, more expensive instrument, when you need to train both hands from scratch anyway.

Just to be contrarian, like.[/quote]

I think it's something to do with which hand is required to do the most movement. I seem to recall (casting my mind back to when I first picked up a guitar) that it just felt more natural to me, especially when trying to play 8th or 16th notes, to assign this task to my left hand.

Then I realised that this meant I was either going to have to find a left-handed bass (non-starter in 1982) or modify a right-handed bass (non-starter as well as I didn't like the ergonomics or aesthetics of this approach - but no offence to those who've found it works). The result was that I forced myself to learn right-handed.

Attempting to play left-handed feels really alien to me now - so I can't honestly say if I'd be a better player if I'd stuck to my guns as a true "leftie".

Yeah. I think that it makes a difference at the beginning, perhaps, when you're just starting to play and trying to persuade your hand so do different things at the same time. I still think that they've both got an equally complex task to perform and an equally important role in hoe you sound, though, which makes the handedness arguments seem very arbitrary.

[quote name='Bassmonster' post='19324' date='Jun 17 2007, 09:44 PM']well i've had my share of Pbass copies, switched to warwick and have recently added a rather nice shuker Jazz to my collection...its so frustrating seeing all those basses in the shop and not being able to have a proper go (you don't get a proper feel for a bass holding it upside down)[/quote]

Had a look at the Shuker site. They're really nice looking basses. Would you recommend? Do they do all models L/H? Which model have you got?

[quote name='MikeB' post='19701' date='Jun 18 2007, 04:09 PM']Had a look at the Shuker site. They're really nice looking basses. Would you recommend? Do they do all models L/H? Which model have you got?[/quote]

No question i would recommend Shuker, best bass that i have ever played!, Theres a quite a few Shuker owners on this site, and 1 very lucky Dood who has an endorsement. All Shuker basses are available L/H no extra charge.

take a look at my bass [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=84"]HERE[/url]

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='19473' date='Jun 18 2007, 09:16 AM']I'm a left-hander playing right.

Just to be contrarian, like.[/quote]

It's the same principle that leads left handers to automatically hold golf clubs, cricket/baseball bats the opposite way round. One hand is the dominant controlling hand.

[quote name='Bassmonster' post='19819' date='Jun 18 2007, 07:06 PM']No question i would recommend Shuker, best bass that i have ever played!, Theres a quite a few Shuker owners on this site, and 1 very lucky Dood who has an endorsement. All Shuker basses are available L/H no extra charge.

take a look at my bass [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=84"]HERE[/url][/quote]

What a fantastic looking bass, and it's the right way round!

Tell me to mind my own business if you want but how much did it cost (PM if you prefer)

I gather Shuker are in Sheffield. Not too far away from me. I feel a visit coming up.

[quote name='mxm' post='19949' date='Jun 18 2007, 10:46 PM']That's a quality bass !

Being more of a knackered Fender user i'd be way too scared to gig something so nice !!!![/quote]

me to!, especially with the type of places i gig, thats what the old ibanezGSR200 is for :), i've been using the shuker in the studio exclusively.

• 4 weeks later...

A big hello to all Basschat Lefties. After speaking to Bigash and Lefty 68 we thought it would be a good idea to see how many of us there are in the membership, seeing as there are almost 1000! members there should be more than just 3! So if you're out there get in touch. Chees Steve. Sorry I forgot Qfunk :)

[quote name='steve-soar' post='31147' date='Jul 13 2007, 10:03 AM']A big hello to all Basschat Lefties. After speaking to Bigash and Lefty 68 we thought it would be a good idea to see how many of us there are in the membership, seeing as there are almost 1000! members there should be more than just 3! So if you're out there get in touch. Chees Steve. Sorry I forgot Qfunk :)[/quote]

There was this thread not long back.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1724&hl=left+handed"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...;hl=left+handed[/url]

[quote name='beerdragon' post='31153' date='Jul 13 2007, 11:12 AM']There was this thread not long back.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1724&hl=left+handed"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...;hl=left+handed[/url][/quote]
Cheers beerdragon, I remember it but it had posts by left handed people who play right handed, I'd like to hear from players who play lefty basses. Anyway what was your first left handed bass? (not yours beerdragon) Mine was an Ibanez Blazer Precision type, natural with a maple neck. I paid £99 for it from a shop in Birkenhead called Fushion Music. The guy let me try it through a Trace rig, as they were one of only a handful of dealers who had a franchise back in 1985. It sounded great and I couldn't wait to get it home to play it through my stereo, it didn't take long to blow the speakers. I wish i still had it. :)

[quote name='Steve Rickwood' post='31238' date='Jul 13 2007, 01:17 PM']I'm a lefty, as so to speak. But I don't know if I count as I copied my brother holding a guitar when I started and consequntly I play right-handed.
Maybe I'm a freak?[/quote]

I did the same thing! Your no freak! :)
I couldnt afford a left handed bass and didnt have the brain to turn it up side down, so i just learned right handed! I'm the same at golf, left handed but play right handed!

D.

I'm a "true" lefty. That is, left handed and play a left handed bass. Have only ever owned lefties. Started with a Squier P bass, have since owned MM Stingray and now have American P and Mexican J. looking to possibly order a Shuker later this year if funds permit. I am thoroughly p****d off by visiting music shops only to find a pathetic selection of cheapo, copy left handed basses. Can we lefties rise up and defeat the bourgeois, right handed establishment? Power to the people and all that!