Why become a member? ×

Mackie DL1608

JamesBass

So I'm looking at investing in my own PA, I've been using mates PA's and hires for a while, I do sound engineering at a local venue so often get dibs on the gear when it's going spare!

So in my research I came across the Mackie, it seems absolutely ideal! The ins and outs are perfect and the iPad use looks really cool, much more options and more intuitive to use on the fly for friends of the band etc. So has anyone used one/own one, are they as good as they claim? What speakers have you paired it with?

I opted for the behringer x-air over the Mackie because Mackie has a history of not offering driver updates on its products. As operating systems move on the Mackie gear can become defunkt. I owned an onyx 1640i which I had to ditch when I brought a new PC and they didn't offer a driver update to make it compatible with Windows 8. When I asked them for help their only advice was to fork out £1100 on a new version of the same mixer.

Another advantage with the Behringer is its not platform-dependent. If one day, Apple drop an update on your iPad that knackers compatibility with the Mackie app then you're stuffed as there's no other control option. The Behringer (and Soundcraft Ui series) can be used with iOS, Android, Mac and PC so are a bit more future-proof and give you more options for how to work with them.

Ive had the Soundcraft Ui16 and the Behringer XR18. For what it's worth the Soundcraft is slightly more stable, and quicker to load as it uses a we browser interface (which works really well), but the Behringer sounds a lot better, has more features and can do multitrack recording. Having said that I've only had very occasional connection problems with the Behringer, and nothing that caused a noticeable proble to punters.

Based on using one and an A&H analogue desk with the same rig I am not convinced that the Mackie delivers proper grownup line level. I have never seen anything about it online but I always have to whack the vol up on the speakers with the Mackie.

re Mackie vs Behringer. I've got experience of running Mackie DL1608/DL32R and Behringer X16/X18 and they will all see you alright. Mackies update via MasterFder is actually pretty good. They are still developing the DL software... and line. MasterFader 4 brought in some great improvements and I believe there is another update due soon. They are listening and putting in the changes - so I wouldn't say that Mackie will be abandoning the DL any time soon.

You can't really beat the XR18 for the fx section that kicks the Mackies. However, I would argue the interface of the Mackie is a lot more straightforward to navigate and poses less complexity. Of course, the Mackie is iPad only whereas as Behringer is Mac/PC/iOS and Android - so you may want to factor that in if you are looking to buy a controlling device also.

With regard to line level outputs - my DL32R outputs similar to my GLD80.