Why become a member? ×

The World's FUNNIEST Bassist! :-)

Cabal

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='300977' date='Oct 7 2008, 01:19 AM']Like some have said, you cannot judge an entire repertoire of someone purely on a couple of minutes on YouTube.

I've just this week discussed the same argument with my 14 year old niece that "4000" raised. Just because she dislikes something I like, why is it crap? Fine, if someone wants to discuss the merits and pitfalls of something, then do so, but for God's sake do it in the style of adults, not pre-pubescent teenagers.[/quote]

agreed you can't judge someone on a couple of minutes on youtube.
but
i like most bits of fret w***ery, and his technical ability was never in question by the op or others me included however the it does sound crap and as such that one clip in no way actually describes what it is intended to do. its a good bassist sounding crap there in lies the funny side. its a bit like those eddie van helen shreds videos, they were made to sound sh*t, this wasn't intentionally made to sound crap it just does. :huh:

and like you said discuss as adults so in that case keep your cheep shots out of it. :)

[quote name='Josh' post='301477' date='Oct 7 2008, 04:10 PM']Here it is:

Yawn...[/quote]

Thanks.
well I wish i could w*** like that. To me it looks like this guy can play very well but as he isn't actually playing a song i wont pass judgement.
Seems like he is just mucking around and if so i cant see why he is getting a good ol slagging off but i guess its just not to everyone's taste.

Boring yes, but im sure we have all mucked around trying to impress someone (and failing to do so). If he was crap i doubt he would get an endorsement.

Edited by dave_bass5

It’s just a bit of exhibitionism…what’s the issue? We all know a certain Mr MK who is more guilty of gratuitous displays of exhibition style slap techniques than any other player on the planet…not as good as Wooten though :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='301485' date='Oct 7 2008, 04:24 PM']Thanks.
well I wish i could w*** like that. To me it looks like this guy can play very well but as he isn't actually playing a song i wont pass judgement.
Seems like he is just mucking around and if so i cant see why he is getting a good ol slagging off but i guess its just not to everyone's taste.[/quote]

Exactly. Just mucking around, having fun. I get the impression some never do that.... BTW, thanks Thunderthumbs for clarifying the context.

[quote name='cetera' post='301123' date='Oct 7 2008, 11:10 AM']Hmmm.... for many: Point = Missed

As far as I can see, we were just commenting on the video as presented. Noone ever challenged/criticised/insulted Nigel's recorded or live career output. :) :huh:[/quote]

Point not missed here. But your comments gave the impression that he should have been playing something different. I figure that's entirely up to him, particularly in this context.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='301723' date='Oct 7 2008, 09:03 PM']I thought I recognised him, I remeber him from A1 back in the mists of time, he was a really nice guy who was always friendly and a bit of a character.
He could play like that 15+ years ago.[/quote]
Don't want to sound like an old fart, but he could play like that 25 years ago! :)

[quote name='4000' post='301625' date='Oct 7 2008, 07:17 PM']Point not missed here. But your comments gave the impression that he should have been playing something different. I figure that's entirely up to him, particularly in this context.[/quote]

Everything [i]anyone[/i] does is entirely up to them..... including the right to comment. :)