Why become a member? ×

cheap second hand SUB

Ou7shined

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='299184' date='Oct 4 2008, 10:35 AM']One went for £465 plus £16p+p last week.....[/quote] :huh:

I was under the impression that the perceived (pre credit crunch) re-sale value of a SUB was ~£350. Some nice Rays have been seen to go sub 500 lately. It just don't add up. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='299210' date='Oct 4 2008, 11:18 AM']:huh:

I was under the impression that the perceived (pre credit crunch) re-sale value of a SUB was ~£350. Some nice Rays have been seen to go sub 500 lately. It just don't add up. :)[/quote]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330273275945"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=330273275945[/url]

EDIT: Just realised you have an eerily similar rig to me, LMII, schroeder cab, korg tuner, FX25b, JD bass wah...... I was thinking of buying my mate's SUB a few months back too!

Edited by lemmywinks

[quote name='budget bassist' post='299071' date='Oct 4 2008, 02:18 AM']Meh, lots of people list them for stupid prices, [b]they're £600-£650 new, so why shouldn't they be £500 in good condition used?[/b] They're worth every bit of the money i think, it's just a bad market is all.[/quote]

indeed, il sell my stingray with its wooden neck for £1400 tomorrow then (listed at £1500 when new), and while im at it il shift my status neck at £300 (£400 fitted new) :)

with current stingray prices being around £500- £600, the mind boggles as to why sub's would be selling for any more than £300 at the moment, IMO of course

Edit: actually after saying that, looking at completed listings, it seems the stingray is going back up in value again, prices have been from around £600 - £800 for a regular standard 'ray, cool :huh:

Edited by BassManKev

There has to be a minimum for a USA MM though, even if a ray sells at under £600 i think half that for a SUB is unreasonable. If i bought a SUB for £400 i'd be very happy with it, if i sold one for any less i'd be gutted!

Btw i can actually get a SUB for less than that, my housemate is selling a SUB 4 if anyone knows a potential buyer?

I think he paid around £600, so with an ABS case (the bass is pretty much as new) i think it should fetch £400

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='299530' date='Oct 4 2008, 06:43 PM']There has to be a minimum for a USA MM though, even if a ray sells at under £600 i think half that for a SUB is unreasonable. If i bought a SUB for £400 i'd be very happy with it, if i sold one for any less i'd be gutted!

Btw i can actually get a SUB for less than that, my housemate is selling a SUB 4 if anyone knows a potential buyer?

I think he paid around £600, so with an ABS case (the bass is pretty much as new) i think it should fetch £400[/quote]
Yeah, i do think they're almost as good as a ray, sonically they're no different, the hardware is the same, the only real difference is the paint, the body wood (alder as opposed to ash, though they used to make their solid finish rays from alder and their trans finish bodies from ash) and the lack of countours, i think for a USA made bass made as good as they are (much better built than fenders) and the sound they produce i'd happily pay £400 for one if that was the going rate. Mine cost me £370 inc shipping and i don't think i could have spent the money on anything better tbh.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Metallicat V3.0' post='325681' date='Nov 10 2008, 08:27 AM'].....If you loose £400 on a ray, does that mean that you have to take £400 off a squire?

No of course not.[/quote]
It's a pity it doesn't work like that.
I just bought a Squier Deluxe V for £200. If it worked the other way they'd just send me a bass plus 200 quid. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='326047' date='Nov 10 2008, 04:20 PM']I just bought a Squier Deluxe V for £200. If it worked the other way they'd just send me a bass plus 200 quid. :)[/quote]

I considered buying a Squier Deluxe V after playing a Squier Affinity Jazz Bass V and liking it. But eventually decided I wanted to learn on something cheaper. But, just out of curiosity, could you write a few words about what you think of the Deluxe V?