Why become a member? ×

SOLD 1983 Fender Precision Standard Series (USA) Ivory/Maple
£700

bamboscha

Here’s a 1983 Fender Standard Series Precision in Ivory with a maple fingerboard.

These E-serial basses were amongst the last to be produced by the Fullerton factory and Fender are reputed to have turned out some great instruments during this period, the Standard Series having much in common with the more desirable American Vintage line.

The original Ivory finish is mostly present and correct but there are a lot of little dinks, donks and chips mainly on the edges, but one or two on the front and back as well. The back has yellowed quite a bit, which just about comes across in the photos I think. The bridge is in fairly clean condition. The knobs have seen better days but are working as they should. There’s a small crack in the single-ply pickguard, where the output socket is.

On the neck, the treble side edge is missing finish on frets 1-8 and 12. There’s a chip in the finish on the back of the neck behind fret 5 which I haven’t found to be noticeable when playing. Also there are a few small dinks and bits of finish missing around the edges of the head stock. Aside from this the neck finish is good.

All original with the exception of the nut and output jack which I had replaced, and the tuners which I replaced with Gotoh Res-o-Lites. As far as I am aware the BT4S tuners used on Fenders of this era are the heaviest tuners Fender ever used at 123 grams a piece. The Gotohs are 67 grams a piece. It’s a fairly light bass at around 8lb 4oz and the old tuners caused a fair amount of neck dive so they had to come off. It’s a much more playable bass with the Res-o-lites and balances nicely.

The original nut, and tuners are included in the sale, as are the original strap buttons and felts which I replaced with Dunlop ones.

The bass comes in its original hard shell case. It’s a bit tatty - structurally fine but the latches have seen better days. One of them has come off (also included), and one doesn’t close properly. Basically, its fine for storage, but I wouldn’t use it on the road.

Cosmetic issues aside, it’s a really playable bass and sounds great. Its light, resonant and balances well. I have it strung with D’addario Chromes and the action is reasonably low. Has the Fender C neck size – 1.75 inches at the nut but very slim in profile.

I’m looking for £700, which is less than what it stands me at thanks to the Gotohs. I would rather deal in person, although postage may be an option. Based in Colne, Lancashire.

Edited by bamboscha

[quote name='bamboscha' timestamp='1470329809' post='3105220']
Hi Wan,

no, the tuners are not direct replacement and new holes had to be drilled. These would show if the original tuners were remounted.

Cheers, Alan.
[/quote]

...which you wouldn't want to do, as Res-o-lites are awesome.