Why become a member? ×

bass cab stacking

la bam

hi all,

im returning to bass payin after a 3 year absence, and back loving it.

This, as im sure you appreciate requires buying everything again.

I have just bought a lovely abm 15 combo.

I have also been offered an abm 2x10 ext cab that the seller says sits on top of the head of the combo, so from top down the rig is:

2x10 cab
amp head of combo
1x15 of combo

question is: is it safe to have the ext cab on top of the amp section, or can it rattle the amp components?

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1468679643' post='3092620']
question is: is it safe to have the ext cab on top of the amp section, or can it rattle the amp components?
[/quote]

Its absolutely safe unless your amp is a particularly rubbish and fragile one, or is faulty in some way. The additional cab wont be imparting much vibration over and above what you combo speaker already generates anyway.

Edited by bassman7755

I have a trace 1x15 combo and SWR 2x10 extension. The footprint of the 2x10 is deeper than the combo so it's much more stable for me to stack the 1x15 on top of the 2x10 and it also means the control knobs of the combo are then at a convenient height. Some people squirm at the idea of the 15 on top and the 10's below but it sounds fine.

Some years ago, cab stacking was the topic that most energised the forum. Proponents of competing philosophies engaged in tit-for-tat violence; drive-by shootings were not uncommon.

The ensuing carnage claimed many victims. Those of us who survived those times learnt very quickly to duck behind a solid object whenever we heard the words 'driver size incompatibility' 'vertical stacking' or 'comb filtering'.

It is all far too painful to recollect.
[color=#f0fff0].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1468681763' post='3092639']
Its absolutely safe unless your amp is a particularly rubbish and fragile one, or is faulty in some way. The additional cab wont be imparting much vibration over and above what you combo speaker already generates anyway.
[/quote]

Agreed, in principle, though I have an old Ampeg SVT-70T combo that decided to go all intermittent on me one rehearsal and on later investigation it turned out that one of the large high-power resistors on the PCB had come adrift because of a fractured PCB pad. The resistor was a big rectangular ceramic device about two inches long, so quite a big thing, but was only fixed to the PCB by its two wires. My guess is that years of vibration eventually took its toll. Fortunately, it was very easy to repair and it has remained reliable ever since (though I only use it for home practice these days).

I was a bit surprised such a large component (of which there were a few on the PCB) was only secured by its legs when its environment was obviously going to be subject to vibration (other large components on the board had been physically secured with wax in addition to their legs.

So I guess my combo was 'particularly rubbish and fragile' - which is a bit disappointing for an Ampeg.

That's my gigging rig on the right in all its '15 on the top, 10's underneath' glory :

[URL=http://s30.photobucket.com/user/KevB64/media/Rapture%20set%20up_zpsnef9tqix.jpg.html][IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c307/KevB64/Rapture%20set%20up_zpsnef9tqix.jpg[/IMG][/URL]