Why become a member? ×

Going pro

GHP

Found this article and having been there and got the (tour) shirt thought he makes some good points, I don't agree with everything but worth a read if your bored

http://www.cyberfretbass.com/business-career/tom-hess/top-10-mistakes/index.php

Don't agree with number 1. It may apply if your aim is to play in a chart band, or metal band. For most pro musicians who are out gigging, teaching etc, the opposite applies, just being able to slot into whatever gig they're offered.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1467623050' post='3084853']
Don't agree with number 1. It may apply if your aim is to play in a chart band, or metal band. For most pro musicians who are out gigging, teaching etc, the opposite applies, just being able to slot into whatever gig they're offered.
[/quote]

Agree.

Other than that, mostly sensible advise.
But, these articles are always aimed at folks who want to live the dream with record deals etc.
There are other options out there for the pro musician as well.
Freelancing-Touring/Orchestral/Pit work etc. Other areas of your career and what is needed as a working musician
then have to be taken into consideration as well.

Edited by lowdown

Good to see someone underline the similarity of record companies to banks. Points I've made to young musicians for years: 1) if an institution of any kind lends you money, 2) it'll eventually want it back plus a significant return. Even today I still occasionally see people pursuing record deals for whom the possibility of 1) blots out understanding 2), with potential problems later.

Edited by lowland

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1467630539' post='3084932']
Only iffy one for me is number 9 - in order to convert people they have to see you. So surely the more who see you the more you can convert.
[/quote]

I took it to mean that it's quality over quantity - i.e. not much point accepting every single gig you can get if they're mainly crap? :)