Why become a member? ×

Chris Squire

LZD56

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1493353521' post='3287664']
They will be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame this year

Bkue
[/quote]

You missed it Blue. One or two threads on here already - Geddy Lee played bass with them on a couple of numbers.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1493357920' post='3287676']

but he wrote them from nothing, THAT is the talent, not copying it later and thinking it's simple.
[/quote]

simple? Do you not realise how hard it is to drop the needle back exactly where you lifted it?

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1493320822' post='3287526']
+2.
My all-time favourite. Thankfully I actually got to tell him too and he seemed quite touched. Never quite took in his death, partly because it came on the heels of so many others and partly because I was in the middle of a breakdown at the time. Still can't really believe he's gone.

[b]Close to the Edge[/b] for me. The soaring, hypnotic line in that just kills me every time. But then pretty much every track is a masterclass in tone and note choice.
[/quote]

My all time favorite album, of any genre and any era. I wore out two vinyl copies in the 70s, the CD replaced them for a number of years but I now have another vinyl copy so I can hear it in its full glory again.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1481389205' post='3192000']
One of the interesting things about Squire is that almost nothing he does is actually hard to play.
[/quote]

For some reason, I'm reminded of this quote by the legendary Vim Fuego: "I could play "Stairway To Heaven" when I was 12. Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was 22. I think that says quite a lot." ;)

Edited by SteveK

My 'not hard' comments are actually a reference to the fact that musicians have a tendency to be drawn to exceptional technique but it's guys like Squire and another favourite of mine, Steve Swallow, who are able to make massive contributions to the canon without being monster chopsmeisters. They have the chops they need to execute their ideas and that is all that they need. The same can be said of people like Bill Frissel, Paul Motian, Charlie Haden etc etc.

Chris Squire was a major influence on me as a kid and I can now probably play pretty much everything he could but I still consider him to be infinitely more creative than I have ever been.