Why become a member? ×

ACDC at Manchester Etihad

Defo

Brilliant night, Axl totally ruled but why is it that at these big gigs you can't ever hear the bass? There's just some sort of low end drone that maybe changes pitch every now and then - infuriating, particularly as I'm a big Cliff Williams fan and really wanted to hear those pumping lines go through me

Edited by Defo

Must admit I`m not a big fan of very large venues for reasons of sound quality. That said, there`s also a "fashionable" way of eq-ing the bass at present which is exactly as you say, Defo. No definition, all about a low rumble, and the drums also seem to be eq-d to sound like they`re being hit with hammers. I suppose the bass suffers as a result of this maybe. Glad to hear Axl was on form though, I did think his voice would suit AC/DC quite well.

I think it's part of the large venue, soundman's mantra, "Bass drum is all, bass guitar is a nuisance - lose it in the mix." I think if many bass players were able to step out into the audience there would be blood all over the mixing desk.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1465814928' post='3071112']
Did they play "let there be rock"? If so, how was the bass?
[/quote]

Yes they did, right at the end - good spot, it was nowhere near the recorded version :(

• 2 weeks later...

Completely agree re rumbling drone but maybe it was better down on the pitch? Still - got to meet the man! Just a shame that he didn't have time to chat much. A surreal 'did that just really happen' moment. Had a good chat with Chris Slade and talked about playing in Welsh working men's clubs (we grew up 20 miles and 20 years apart!), fights in said venues and how if you could play in that you could play anywhere! Good to see a Taff done good again!

[attachment=222075:IMG_4793.jpg]

yep, I afraid it's the fashion at the moment (hopefully it'll change) loads of bass drum, which should provide the really low end, which means there's no room for the bass so it gets EQ'd to where the bass drum should be IMO, the best way to hear drums is with no micing up at all and this is how it should sound when you've got to amplify it, PA's are supposed to just make everything louder not alter the characteristics of the instruments