Why become a member? ×

Crazy Horses keyboard part

lushuk

Looking at the specs there's not a lot of synths with ribbon controllers on them that have the same 3 octave range as the one on the YC-30.

However I imagine that it's one of those sounds that is very easy to get with the right instrument. If you have an actual Yamaha YC-30 you can probably switch it on and it will be right there. IIRC there was a television interview with The Osmonds where Donny demonstrated exactly how that sound is done. I would be very surprised if someone hasn't already uploaded it to YouTube.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1465320307' post='3067117']
We do this with just a guitar. But I have thought of using a synth and a pedalboard.

Why do you leave the 'Take a good look around' bit?
[/quote]

No one can sing it properly. :(

[quote name='lushuk' timestamp='1465492829' post='3068772']
That would be awesome, thank you

On another note (no pun.....) i couldn't find the interview with Donny on how he played it, maybe there somewhere :( lets see what the Moog can do!
[/quote]

The interview was back when the single was released so a long time ago and so my memory is fairly hazy as to how it actually functioned, but it appeared that the ribbon controller was doing all the work, and I don't recall him playing any actual notes on the keyboard at the same time although I could well be wrong on that matter. What was obvious was the he was using the full length of the ribbon controller which according to the info I could find about the keyboard is a 3 octave range. The only ribbon controller I've actually used is the one on the Yamaha KX5 which is up to 1 octave each way (2 in total) and has a dead spot in the centre to make it more user friendly for pitch bending, but would completely ruin the effect you need for the Crazy Horses sound.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1465493358' post='3068778']
The interview was back when the single was released so a long time ago and so my memory is fairly hazy as to how it actually functioned, but it appeared that the ribbon controller was doing all the work, and I don't recall him playing any actual notes on the keyboard at the same time although I could well be wrong on that matter. What was obvious was the he was using the full length of the ribbon controller which according to the info I could find about the keyboard is a 3 octave range. The only ribbon controller I've actually used is the one on the Yamaha KX5 which is up to 1 octave each way (2 in total) and has a dead spot in the centre to make it more user friendly for pitch bending, but would completely ruin the effect you need for the Crazy Horses sound.
[/quote]

mmmm found some 70's stuff but mostly girls screaming lol

Thanks for the audio clip I've seen/heard it before but may mix it into the intro if i can get one! :)

Well, had a short fiddle around with what was there tonight, and after a few minutes with the ribbon controller, I couldn't get it to do the right thing, but the animoog keyboard is good for adding the tremolo.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/embed/THcVacf3i9o"]http://www.youtube....bed/THcVacf3i9o[/url]

Not perfect, but it is a start