Why become a member? ×

SX Precision Modified with Geddy Lee neck. @@Sold@@

OldGit

@@ Sold subject to the usual @@

My trusty Modified SX Precision Bass,
Not your normal Rondo P Bass, this one was modified with a sexy Geddy Lee style Jazz neck by a US owner before I bought it then I cahanged a few things
the result is a stonkin' instrument.

Unfortunately its fine naroow, fast and gorgeous Jazz neck just doesn't work for me and my sausage fingered hands

The body is an SX Precision is gorgeous sunburst (as you can see). With after market tortie pick guard.
I'm no expert on spotting woods but I believe the body is Ash (or the Chinese version.)

The tuners are classic guenuine Fender elephant ears,

the bridge is the Gotoh 203 - that's the heavy version of the classic Fender one.

The pickup is a no-name aftermarket Precision one but works and sounds fine.
There is a battery box in the back from my experiment with an SE2A active preamp (also available, with the stackpot to allow a two hole fitting) and the body has had its control cavity enlarged a little and deepened a little to accommodate the stack pot (this operation, and the battery box fitting, was done by Dave Dearnley, renown Cardiff luthier)

Warwick Red Label strings just fitted. Med light gauge.

It plays really nicely and has an excellent "unplugged" natural resonance.

There are two cosmetic problems with the bass.
This scratch plate screw hole, from the previous black plate, shows a little if you get really close. Otherwise it's not apparent

and the Simpson's sticker hides a hole in the lacquer where I accidentally soldered a wire to the body.
I'll take the sticker off and photograph it if anyone is seriously interested.

More (and bigger) pictures are available.

I'd like £150 for this fine instrument.

Pick up in Cardiff/Bristol/London/Stanstead/Wilts or about £20 to ship.
It's a long shot but I may trade / PX for a Japanese P bass PB62 model with wide neck.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Duarte' post='295443' date='Sep 30 2008, 02:38 PM']Where was this bass made? Looks quite nice...[/quote]

It's Chinese.
The SX's come in various types of quality. The SX P and J basses generally available in the UK are Ok but not great. Usually come in beginner's packs and have 21 frets.

This is a totally different kettle of fish. It's one of the very highly rated SX basses from Rondo in the US. Still Chinese but probably from a different supplier. Try a Talkbass search on sx and Essex basses for rather a lot of nicely biased owners' reviews and an owner's club :)

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385940"]Talkbass SX maniacs thread[/url]

Usually they come with "antique" colored necks that look a bit David Dickinson to me. I've owned two, a jazz and this one, and had a good long go on a another J from Rondo.

They are all pretty fine for the money but this one is the best I've played, especially with the upgrade parts.

It's certainly better than any of the sub £250 Squiers I've played. Maybe the VMJ is better but then that's a jazz..

Wayne .. Sorry mate. Want me to spray it with checkerboard paint? :huh:

[quote name='andyonbass' post='295591' date='Sep 30 2008, 04:28 PM']I reckon about half the asking price of the bass sounds about right?[/quote]

I'm playing near Chippenham on Friday night this week if you fancy meeting then.
It's a bit closer to Swindon that I am normally :)

There's something a bit weird about you guys talking about splitting up my baby :huh:

[quote name='Bassassin' post='300803' date='Oct 6 2008, 09:04 PM']Would you consider selling the neck separately?

Jon.[/quote]

Hi Jon, thanks for asking.
I really want to sell the whole thing.
[i]You[/i] could buy it, keep the neck and sell the rest though .. :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='300852' date='Oct 6 2008, 09:58 PM']Hi Jon, thanks for asking.
I really want to sell the whole thing.
[i]You[/i] could buy it, keep the neck and sell the rest though .. :)[/quote]

I [i]could[/i] - in fact I'd be right tempted - if I hadn't somehow managed to acquire an 80s Squier SQ series P, a 70s Ibanez P clone and a bizarre acrylic transparent P project - which is what I want a black block neck for! Too many P's already!

Plus if I bought it I know bloody well I wouldn't split it! :huh:

Good luck selling, if you change your mind let me know. :huh:

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='300896' date='Oct 6 2008, 10:57 PM']I [i]could[/i] - in fact I'd be right tempted - if I hadn't somehow managed to acquire an 80s Squier SQ series P, a 70s Ibanez P clone and a bizarre acrylic transparent P project - which is what I want a black block neck for! Too many P's already!

Plus if I bought it I know bloody well I wouldn't split it! :huh:

Good luck selling, if you change your mind let me know. :)

J.[/quote]

ha ha Well you could just neck swap and sell the other one on as a working bass ...

Ok you can have the neck - for £140

:huh: :huh:

Sorry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

bump cos it's replacement's arrived and I really could do with this finding a nice home ...
Offers?
May trade for vocal PA stuff: Yamaha PA mixer amp (Emx212S/EMX312S type), Speakers (EV 200's or EV 300's ), light PA speaker stands,

[quote name='parker_muse' post='316410' date='Oct 28 2008, 08:57 AM']Fancy a trade for these bananas?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22359"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22359[/url][/quote]

Hi PM
Thanks but I'm not looking for any more basses ...

OG

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='316468' date='Oct 28 2008, 09:49 AM']I really want this now, if I hadn't spent £150 on the missus' birthday present, she might have liked this.....[/quote]

I'm sure we can come to some accommodation, Wayne ..