Why become a member? ×

Upright plug ins

Guest McBass

Guest McBass

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1462825084' post='3046103']
At the moment I am exploring some solutions to this end, possibly leading to the 'Uprighter' pedal. To date I have sampled my various basses (fretted and fretless) and double bass. Fourier spectrum and envelope analysis points the way forward. I have also identified some problems that require further thought.
[/quote]

Sounds interesting....

As always, some parts seem quite straightforward, others much more subtle and involved. I am surprised how similar the frequency spectrum (harmonic content) of basses are. My Warwick Corvettes, fretless and fretted (with same strings) are remarkably similar and not that different to Gibson SG. Re-learning university mathematical Physics is an interesting experience 36 years later, so much I have forgotten :(.

Edited by 3below

All is not spectral analysis, though, as illustrated by a Youtube (I can't find it right now...) which showed, for the same sample heard, two faces mouthing a different syllable. Depending on which face one watched, the interpretation of the brain changed to reflect that seen. Hearing is a very psychological experience.
Not saying, of course, that the maths don't matter, just that there's more still when we listen to stuff.

Edit: Found it ..!

http://youtu.be/G-lN8vWm3m0

Edited by Dad3353

Guest McBass

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1462816606' post='3045961']
I'll report in when mine arrives...
[/quote]

I registered mine to update to the latest firmware...now i'm told i may not get a refund because it's registered. :(

[quote name='McBass' timestamp='1462880244' post='3046510']
I registered mine to update to the latest firmware...now i'm told i may not get a refund because it's registered. :(
[/quote]

Tell 'em to 'un-register' it, then; politely, at first, but in stronger terms if necessary. You could also add that their reactions are being posted on a forum, where sales are being won or lost, depending on their replies. Yes, you may quote me; I am quite capable of sending one back, unopened, if they're going to play 'silly beggars' (a technical term...). I paid with Paypal; I'm sure I'd be able to get a refund if I did that. :mellow:

[quote name='McBass' timestamp='1462880244' post='3046510']

[/quote]

I found that you have to play very cleanly, it picks up the slightest extraneous sound and converts that too. Flat wound strings made a huge difference, and try wrapping a sock or hair thing around the end of the fretboard to cut down on other strings ringing out.

It was only really on piano sounds that I had a problem.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1462832020' post='3046182']
All is not spectral analysis, though, as illustrated by a Youtube (I can't find it right now...) which showed, for the same sample heard, two faces mouthing a different syllable. Depending on which face one watched, the interpretation of the brain changed to reflect that seen. Hearing is a very psychological experience.
Not saying, of course, that the maths don't matter, just that there's more still when we listen to stuff.

Edit: Found it ..!

[media]http://youtu.be/G-lN8vWm3m0[/media]
[/quote]

The measurements and maths are a starting point. It may not be possible to produce a plausible effect however the journey is intellectually interesting to me. The mk1 human ear will be deployed in field testing :)

Guest McBass

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1462881012' post='3046529']
Tell 'em to 'un-register' it, then; politely, at first, but in stronger terms if necessary. You could also add that their reactions are being posted on a forum, where sales are being won or lost, depending on their replies. Yes, you may quote me; I am quite capable of sending one back, unopened, if they're going to play 'silly beggars' (a technical term...). I paid with Paypal; I'm sure I'd be able to get a refund if I did that. :mellow:
[/quote]

So did i, unfortunately the store's T&Cs mention registering products. Damned if a did and damned if i didn't as i wanted to make sure the software was up to date.

Edited by McBass

Guest McBass

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1462881196' post='3046534']
I found that you have to play very cleanly, it picks up the slightest extraneous sound and converts that too. Flat wound strings made a huge difference, and try wrapping a sock or hair thing around the end of the fretboard to cut down on other strings ringing out.

It was only really on piano sounds that I had a problem.
[/quote]

It was doing weird sh*t like shifting the pitch of notes, i don't think it tracks that well...maybe it's not suited to my playing style. I was using it with my flat shod P bass.

[quote name='McBass' timestamp='1462881740' post='3046541']
So did i, unfortunately the store's T&Cs mention registering products. Damned if a did and damned if i didn't as i wanted to make sure the software was up to date.
[/quote]

One has a statutory 'fit for purpose' guarantee, I believe,which should cover this, if you weren't able to get it to perform as described in the sales pitch..? Have you been able to speak to a human over this, or just robot mails or such..? It doesn't inspire confidence in the promotion of their products to be treated in such a fashion.

Guest McBass

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1462882067' post='3046549']
One has a statutory 'fit for purpose' guarantee, I believe,which should cover this, if you weren't able to get it to perform as described in the sales pitch..? Have you been able to speak to a human over this, or just robot mails or such..? It doesn't inspire confidence in the promotion of their products to be treated in such a fashion.
[/quote]

It's the store that i bought it from, they are going to as sonuus if they'll de register it.

[quote name='McBass' timestamp='1462882582' post='3046562']
It's the store that i bought it from, they are going to as sonuus if they'll de register it.
[/quote]

Ah. I ordered directly from Sonuus. It'll get sorted by the store, I reckon; just a pain in the wotsit in the meantime. I hope I can get a decent oboe solo out of mine, when it arrives...

Guest McBass

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1462883560' post='3046583']
Ah. I ordered directly from Sonuus. It'll get sorted by the store, I reckon; just a pain in the wotsit in the meantime. I hope I can get a decent oboe solo out of mine, when it arrives...
[/quote]

Refunded :)

Just a noodle; here's a Soundcloud of the interface, received about an hour ago. Straight out of the (tiny...) box, plug'n'play into Reaper, using my guitar (Xaviere XV600...), playing a Vst Alpine English horn; one take...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/sonuus-1"]Sonuus 1 Noodle ...[/url]

Does it work..? Yes, for what I want it to do. I'll do a bass one later, once I've sussed it out a bit more.

Edited by Dad3353

Here's a bass noodle; my Hofner Verithin, with black nylon Trubass strings pretending to be a Ricky (Vst...), both p/us, DI, played through MIDI with the Sonuus interface. A few glitches edited out, and my bad timing 'massaged', but otherwise pretty much raw...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/sonuus-2-1"]Sonuus Bass Noodle, Ricky ...[/url]

... and here's another; same thing, but triggering a Bass Juggernaut Vst Synth ...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/sonuus-2-2"]Sonuus Bass Noodle, Synth ...[/url]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1463138249' post='3048881']
Just a noodle; here's a Soundcloud of the interface, received about an hour ago. Straight out of the (tiny...) box, plug'n'play into Reaper, using my guitar (Xaviere XV600...), playing a Vst Alpine English horn; one take...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/sonuus-1"]Sonuus 1 Noodle ...[/url]

Does it work..? Yes, for what I want it to do. I'll do a bass one later, once I've sussed it out a bit more.
[/quote]

Sounds like it could be useful.
Could you do me a favour, Douglas, and trigger some Orchestral samples?
Strings, Brass and Woodwinds would be good. Just wondering how light vibrato would work.
I presume that the expression on The English Horn was baked into the sample? or maybe not?

One last one...

Audio guitar panned Left, MIDI Vst English horn panned Right, to show tracking and latency. Some tiny glitches edited out, otherwise raw...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/sonuus-3"]Sonuus, hard-panned Audio guitar and MIDI Vst ...[/url]

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1463160927' post='3049205']
Sounds like it could be useful.
Could you do me a favour, Douglas, and trigger some Orchestral samples?
Strings, Brass and Woodwinds would be good. Just wondering how light vibrato would work.
I presume that the expression on The English Horn was baked into the sample? or maybe not?
[/quote]

Useful..? To me, definitely. Will it do all..? Quite probably not, but I'll find the limitations as I continue the trials. For the moments, I'm having best results using a guitar, rather than a bass (but that's the range I'm wanting, anyway,for now...), and using the 'chromatic' mode, which hones in on exact semitones rather than absolute pitch. I'm finding (but it's early days...) that the pitch sensitivity is too high for my poor playing; one has to have a very 'clean hand' for it not to waver about . Only hundredths, but enough to throw it, so I'm not using the guitar vibrato at all, only that of the Vst. I'd say, then, that half of the expression is 'baked in', as you say; the rest is the lightness of touch and playing style.
Certainly, I can do a run through of a few instruments; I've been using Alpine's English Horn (it's like an oboe; also known as a cor anglais...), but will strike up a session with Philharmonik this evening or tomorrow, and run through a few favourites. String ensemble, solo violin, trombone, harp... I'll test out a few, then post the results here in the same fashion. I'll try source vibrato, but no guarantee that I can, as yet, master that. We'll see...
Remember, this is purely monophonic, so any chordal work (counter-point, fugues...) will have to be done one instrument at a time. If I get inspired, I'll try a compo of the sort, to see if I can get it to 'gel'.
Any other requests, while I'm here..? Vangelis, did I hear, there at the back..? Gerroff..! You're just takin' the Mickey..!

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1463161927' post='3049216']
Useful..? To me, definitely. Will it do all..? Quite probably not, but I'll find the limitations as I continue the trials. For the moments, I'm having best results using a guitar, rather than a bass (but that's the range I'm wanting, anyway,for now...), and using the 'chromatic' mode, which hones in on exact semitones rather than absolute pitch. I'm finding (but it's early days...) that the pitch sensitivity is too high for my poor playing; one has to have a very 'clean hand' for it not to waver about . Only hundredths, but enough to throw it, so I'm not using the guitar vibrato at all, only that of the Vst. I'd say, then, that half of the expression is 'baked in', as you say; the rest is the lightness of touch and playing style.
Certainly, I can do a run through of a few instruments; I've been using Alpine's English Horn (it's like an oboe; also known as a cor anglais...), but will strike up a session with Philharmonik this evening or tomorrow, and run through a few favourites. String ensemble, solo violin, trombone, harp... I'll test out a few, then post the results here in the same fashion. I'll try source vibrato, but no guarantee that I can, as yet, master that. We'll see...
Remember, this is purely monophonic, so any chordal work (counter-point, fugues...) will have to be done one instrument at a time. If I get inspired, I'll try a compo of the sort, to see if I can get it to 'gel'.
Any other requests, while I'm here..? Vangelis, did I hear, there at the back..? Gerroff..! You're just takin' the Mickey..!
[/quote]

Sorry, I did mean useful for my son, or me, even - And yes, played/triggered on Guitar rather than Bass.
It's the vib and possibly volume pedal expression, that I might be interested in.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1463162248' post='3049219']
Sorry, I did mean useful for my son, or me, even - And yes, played/triggered on Guitar rather than Bass.
It's the vib and possibly volume pedal expression, that I might be interested in.
[/quote]

Having seen the video demonstration s of the unit, I can well believe that it's capable of great stuff. That that's within the grasp of a sub-simian clumsy oaf such as myself is yet to be proven. My needs are modest; I'll give it my best...

Edited by Dad3353

Guest McBass

Glad it's worked for you, just didn't suit my playing style and ultimately wasn't doing what i wanted it to do.....i settled for a Gretsch White Falcon Bass instead :yarr: .

A few noodles using Philharmonik. The first three with the 'normal' mode; one can hear the awful slurring due to lousy fingering on my part. The instrument must be tuned spot on, I find. The last four are using the 'chromatic' mode, where pitch bending doesn't occur (harp, string section...)...
I've no idea if this will help anyone, but the gadget does what I want to use it for.I'm keeping it (but keeping my keyboard, too..!).

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/sonuus-4"]Sonuus 4 ...[/url]