Why become a member? ×

Not happy with my sound! Bit lost

Twincam

[quote name='lowland' timestamp='1461573513' post='3035672']
Although I've become aware of the trend recently, also 'it's funny 'cos it's true', and as a bit of a convert I hope Twincam might at least consider playing adjustment before parting with hard-earned cash.
[/quote]

Wise words...

[quote name='lowland' timestamp='1461574286' post='3035678']
PS CamdenRob: could you please link to this noodle comp whereof you speak?
[/quote]

I most certainly can.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/282735-basschat-noodle-bar-april/page__pid__3034729__st__60#entry3034729"]http://basschat.co.u...60#entry3034729[/url]

It's essentially a motley collection of isolated basslines (under 60 seconds) played, recorded and submitted by a few BCers, which are compiled into a vote at the end of each month...

It's working title was the "Play any old s**t challenge" and to be honest that pretty much sums it up :)

Edited by CamdenRob

Is this live tone, band rehearsals, studio recording or home practice tone? They're all very different for me so I'd be wary about suggesting anything (and so getting you to spend your hard earned) without knowing, otherwise you'll end up going round in circles & be a lot poorer at the end of it.

Saying that, I am another believer in the funny because it's true "all in the fingers" mantra - personal technique makes a huge difference; I've heard people playing my bass through my amp & it sounds completely different!

If you desperately want to spend some money I would say the cab sounds like the weak link though - nothing wrong with your other stuff.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1461566201' post='3035623']
Yep, I think the solution is fairly simple. You've tried a range of amps and not liked the sound of any of them. It must be either the bass or the speakers.

Maybe head for the next Bass Bash in your area, or just networking with a few basschatters up there if you can't find a good shop?
[/quote]

Good idea; there's always lots of gear available at most Bashes and what's even better, there's other bass players who can help and advise you in person..

To be honest I think you're overthinking the whole thing & obsessing on it. You've gone through more amps in two years than I did in 37 years. That said, I've never had much interest in amplification - I tend to sound pretty much the same no matter what I play through so as long as I can hear myself I'm happy.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1461574567' post='3035682']

I most certainly can.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/282735-basschat-noodle-bar-april/page__pid__3034729__st__60#entry3034729"]http://basschat.co.u...60#entry3034729[/url]

It's essentially a motley collection of isolated basslines (under 60 seconds) played, recorded and submitted by a few BCers, which are compiled into a vote at the end of each month...

It's working title was the "Play any old s**t challenge" and to be honest that pretty much sums it up :)
[/quote]

Thanks!

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1461580051' post='3035756']
To be honest I think you're overthinking the whole thing & obsessing on it. You've gone through more amps in two years than I did in 37 years. That said, I've never had much interest in amplification - I tend to sound pretty much the same no matter what I play through so as long as I can hear myself I'm happy.
[/quote]

Well now I don't have bass gas I have serious amp gas haha.
You could be right tho, my keenest sense is my hearing and I hear everything. Then obsess over it. I honestly think the amp is in a way too good for me. I was happy with the Ashdown abm I just didn't like some of its performance in the mids or treble at times but now I'm thinking I liked the simplicity of its tone.
Also going from flats to rotosound rounds is a bit of a leap.

I do think the cab is a weak link it's speaker is being upgraded next week but really I need a new one sooner the better.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1461589897' post='3035876']
Well now I don't have bass gas I have serious amp gas haha.
You could be right tho, my keenest sense is my hearing and I hear everything. Then obsess over it. I honestly think the amp is in a way too good for me. I was happy with the Ashdown abm I just didn't like some of its performance in the mids or treble at times but now I'm thinking I liked the simplicity of its tone.
Also going from flats to rotosound rounds is a bit of a leap.

I do think the cab is a weak link it's speaker is being upgraded next week but really I need a new one sooner the better.
[/quote]

Out of the small number of amps I've owned (Sunn, Trace Elliott, Ashdown, EBS, Glockenklang, Markbass) my favourite was most probably the Ashdown ABM 1x10 300 watt combo I had. I never even bothered with the tone controls, used the button that takes them out of the circuit all the time. Fantastic amp, wish I'd never sold it.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1461591472' post='3035900']

Out of the small number of amps I've owned (Sunn, Trace Elliott, Ashdown, EBS, Glockenklang, Markbass) my favourite was most probably the Ashdown ABM 1x10 300 watt combo I had. I never even bothered with the tone controls, used the button that takes them out of the circuit all the time. Fantastic amp, wish I'd never sold it.
[/quote]

I believe the 1x10 abm combos have been used on a few albums. Apparently there/were a good studio amp.