Why become a member? ×

The HandBox Amplification thread

wateroftyne

1 hour ago, scrumpymike said:

Dave, just for your info, I've got a TT-800 and an R-400 and have been trying to decide which will be my main gig amp. Given the price difference between the two, that's already a massive compliment to the HandBox and until recently I've been gigging it more often as I just love its simplicity and sounds. Then, while the R-400 was away for repair, I started understanding the full extent of what the Mesa can do and gradually improving how it sounds. Compared to the R-400, its two switchable channels, HPF, Deep switch, O/D Symmetry Control, 2ohm capability and extra wattage do bring a lot to the party - for me anyway. I should also declare that I've been a big Mesa fan for ages.

I spent 2 yrs researching the Mesa subway gear and put my order in for the TT800, 210 and 115 rig hoping i would have it all within 3 mths. The cabs arrived from different shops but the amp kept getting put back. The order went in April 2021 over a year ago and now that its been put back to a maybe 2023 but no guarantee i just cant be bothered waiting that long for any bit of kit no matter what it is. 2 years is far too long to wait. Its left me disappointed with Mesa but there are probably a few other manufacturers in same position so its unfair to single out Mesa. Its all down to Covid.

I had looked at the R400 before i ordered the Mesa rig but i already had the Mpulse600 and PH212 and loved it and that's what swayed me to the Subway rig.

Alas i need to look elsewhere. No telling how many years i have left to keep playing but i want to have the best rig i can over the next few years. Not that i have any health issues but i might get fed up gigging again as i did in early 90's. Living for today is the way to go rather than living on a "maybe". 

Another amp i am looking at is the Ashdown ABM EVO IV 600 but i'm not a fan of that pale blue facing. I do like the look of the Geezer Butler head but at £400 more its a bit much as there's no way i need additional slave outputs which is the main reason for the added cost.

I might hold off and see what comes up on BC as i still have my trusty old Mpulse600 which sounds lovely thru the 210 / 115 cabs.

A bit long winded but i've been on the JD while making dinner so i'm nice, warm and happy at moment :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

The order went in April 2021 over a year ago and now that its been put back to a maybe 2023 but no guarantee

Wow, I had no idea it had got that bad. Ordered mine in June '20 and had to wait 6 months - that was bad enough! Re Ashdown, I keep buying their stuff off here (including an ABM600 EVO lV), trying to love it, then trying to just like it - and end up re-selling. Just not for me, which is a shame as I'd love to support a British manufacturer. Also, their after-sales service is second to none. Hope you find what you're looking for. Til then, there's always the JD 😊

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Wow, I had no idea it had got that bad. Ordered mine in June '20 and had to wait 6 months - that was bad enough! Re Ashdown, I keep buying their stuff off here (including an ABM600 EVO lV), trying to love it, then trying to just like it - and end up re-selling. Just not for me, which is a shame as I'd love to support a British manufacturer. Also, their after-sales service is second to none. Hope you find what you're looking for. Til then, there's always the JD 😊

Glad you told me that Mike. I have been considering the Ashdown and you're the first person to say they couldn't quite get on with it and i think your amp history has a similar vane to mine. I was a bit concerned about buying a new amp from Poland mainly beccause there is no support network for repairs under warranty if needed but by sound of it they are a rugged amp.

I definitely have a severe GAS for the all valve WB-100 after hearing the various vids on it. It seems to have more presence than the Mpulse and R400 but not by much. Sent HB an email this morning asking for costs to send either amp to UK and i'll take it from there.

The Mesa thing is sad as they seemed to have a great range of new Subway amps and they were very popular for this to happen and kill sales for them. Now people like myself will have no option but look elsewhere. I honestly thought i was a Mesa man till the end but how things change. 

Dave

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Out of curiosity are HB quick at getting back to you via email. ?

Dave

In my experience yes, but they’ve had problems in the past with not-junk ending up in their junk mail. If you’re on FB, that might be a quicker route.

I’ll message Leszek now and ask him to keep an eye out.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

In my experience yes, but they’ve had problems in the past with not-junk ending up in their junk mail. If you’re on FB, that might be a quicker route.

I’ll message Leszek now and ask him to keep an eye out.

I sent one at weekend but didn't expect a response till during the week. Thought i would send another one thru their website page this morning just in case i typed in the wrong email address.

I'll have a look at their FB page. Thanks @wateroftyne

Edited to say PM'd thru their FB page too so hopefully they get one of my messages.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

41 minutes ago, jbu09 said:

I too have an email enquiry that is dragging its feet a bit. i@m not a Facebook user, so only email or telephone for me.. I am trying to get the ball rolling on a R400 order..

When did you email ?

Dave

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'm wondering if HB might be off on a weeks holiday for Easter. Not sure how big or small a company they are. ?

When I was dealing with HB, I got the impression that it's just one guy in a workshop, with his sons helping out occasionally. I'm sure that WoT will know more about the size of the operation. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, peteb said:

When I was dealing with HB, I got the impression that it's just one guy in a workshop, with his sons helping out occasionally. I'm sure that WoT will know more about the size of the operation. 

Looking at the pics on the website or FB page it does look that way. The kids are off school this week in UK so i'm guessing it might well be the same in Poland. Can't fault a man that puts family first before work.

I waited a year for a Mesa TT800 i didnt get so i have a lot of patience LOL

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Reading thru the HB website "About Us" page it looks like a reasonable sized company with various production lines running. Comments that he has put together a team of electronics engineers etc so tey must have staff.

Dave

I'm not totally up on the current situation, but I know Covid hit HB like many others. Thankfully amps are only part of the business so they were able to weather the storm.

• Like 1

The FB page shows they are quite busy with a new range of speaker cabs so it looks promising for them. Mentions new projects coming in so that's all good news.

Its probably down to a holiday week i reckon. We all need our hols from work even if it is your own business.

Dave

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

When did you email ?

I emailed him about a week ago, and I sent a follow up today. he explained that he is very sick Covid complications and asked I bear with him.

I sent him best wishes and hope he gets through it ok. So patience and some positive thoughts his way is all there is to do..

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jbu09 said:

I emailed him about a week ago, and I sent a follow up today. he explained that he is very sick Covid complications and asked I bear with him.

I sent him best wishes and hope he gets through it ok. So patience and some positive thoughts his way is all there is to do..

He mentioned <easter holiday too..

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, jbu09 said:

I never even gave Covid a thought but that all makes more sense. I'll just leave it for a while till he's picked up and ready to get back to work.

Can only wish him all the best and hope for a quick recovery.

Dave 

• Like 1

Really nice email from Leszek at HB explaining the issues he has at the moment with his covid issue plus he's lost some of his enginners thru Covid. Approx a 6 week wait for the R-400 and WB-100 but he's working on upgrades to the pre-amp at moment too.

He has given me a price and its a fantastic price for such an amazing bit of kit. £20-£30 shipping.

How do they manage to produce such an amazing amp for that kind of money.

I'll be ordering a WB-100 but have said there's no rush and can wait till he's fully recovered and his team back to full strength again. Will proceed as he sees fit under his guidance.

@wateroftyne just thought i'd let you know since you also sent a message for me. 

Sounds like things are a bit tough for them at moment but hopefully picks up soon.

Dave

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Really nice email from Leszek at HB explaining the issues he has at the moment with his covid issue plus he's lost some of his enginners thru Covid. Approx a 6 week wait for the R-400 and WB-100 but he's working on upgrades to the pre-amp at moment too.

He has given me a price and its a fantastic price for such an amazing bit of kit. £20-£30 shipping.

How do they manage to produce such an amazing amp for that kind of money.

I'll be ordering a WB-100 but have said there's no rush and can wait till he's fully recovered and his team back to full strength again. Will proceed as he sees fit under his guidance.

@wateroftyne just thought i'd let you know since you also sent a message for me. 

Sounds like things are a bit tough for them at moment but hopefully picks up soon.

Dave

Thanks Dave, good to know

jay

• Like 1