Why become a member? ×

NGD: 2006 Gibson Custom Shop CS-336

therealting

Not sure how I've gone so long without owning one, but I finally picked up my first ever Gibson yesterday!

It's a 2006 Custom Shop CS-336 in classic vintage Red Cherry. There are a few dinks and minor scratches here and there and fret wear commensurate with normal use, but I like my guitars to feel and look loved, played and enjoyed... and considering the saving over a brand new one I'm more than happy.

A previous owner changed the original Kluson-style Gibson Deluxe tuners for Grovers (presumably because they hold tune better), but they look awful so I will be swapping them out for Kluson-style Grover Deluxes pretty soon. I'm planning to get the Jon Herington mod to the electronics layout, and am also considering a TonePros bridge and a fretboard level, crowning and setup... any recommendations welcome since this is my first Gibson!

I decided to begin our relationship by tackling that classic solo by the man who made red Gibson semi-hollowbodies famous, so I've attached a clip to my attempt at Kid Charlemagne. Plugged straight in to a Yamaha THR10, neck pickup with tone only very slightly rolled off.

https://www.facebook.com/63790407931/videos/10154163407287932/

Edited by therealting

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats - these are fantastic guitars. I know this because I have one in black, with Bareknuckle Mississippi Queen pickups (mod by a previous owner). I have to say yours has more of the classic 335 look with that cherry finish.

Excellent Dan cover - I have shared it on my FB page! What electronics mods are you contemplating?

Here's mine:

I briefly owned an Epi 335 which was fine until I gigged it.

The construction methods of the 335 and 336 are completely different: 335 has laminate front and rear over a centre block, 336 is Carved from solid and capped.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1460974081' post='3030212']
The construction methods of the 335 and 336 are completely different: 335 has laminate front and rear over a centre block, 336 is Carved from solid and capped.
[/quote]

Yes I get that (I've owned or used several Gibsons at one time or another). I'm just keen to know how it affects the sound and playability.

I don't think it would affect the playability. As to sound, that's a long discussion for an Internet forum. Oh, wait...

EDIT: Actually the smaller body is much more manageable now I think about it.

Edited by JapanAxe

The 339 is the small version of the 335, with the pressed laminate top and back with the centre block as mentioned. Slightly mid-scooped sound and lively when played near a loud amp or with feedback. My first electric guitar was a 335-style Ibanez ArtStar which I still love, but it's a big beast.

The 336 being carved out of solid wood but with large chambers is sort of a cross between a Les Paul and a 339 sound wise. I always wanted to like Les Pauls but never found one I gelled with despite a long search. The 336 is like a much more open-sounding Les Paul to me, and I prefer the looks, so to me it's the solution I've always wanted to the Les Paul search.

The 339 and 336 look very similar and play very similarly (as long as you compare the 60/30 and 50s necks like-for-like). Slightly different appointments, slightly different cost.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1461075213' post='3031194']
I never knew the 336 and 339 existed!
[/quote]

You need to try them, honestly. The Epiphone 339s are pretty good for the money, but honestly the Custom Shop 339 is probably the best value Gibson there is.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1461155227' post='3031923']
You need to try them, honestly. The Epiphone 339s are pretty good for the money, but honestly the Custom Shop 339 is probably the best value Gibson there is.
[/quote]

Speaking of which, just seen a [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/282093-all-original-gibson-custom-shop-es339-2010-vintage-sunburst-50s-neck/"]gorgeous sunburst 339[/url] on sale on BC.

NOTE: I have no affiliation to the seller!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1461917908' post='3038660']

Speaking of which, just seen a [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/282093-all-original-gibson-custom-shop-es339-2010-vintage-sunburst-50s-neck/"]gorgeous sunburst 339[/url] on sale on BC.

NOTE: I have no affiliation to the seller!
[/quote]

That's very nice - and Feline do all my setup work so I'm sure it plays like a dream too.

• 3 weeks later...