Why become a member? ×

Gospel music

JamesBass

Forgive me if this is a talked about subject, I've not done a search to find out aha!

But anyway, my recent musical journey and progression has taken me down a Jazzier path, and it's been great, like REALLY great, but at the same time I feel there is still something further behind Jazz that helped influence Jazz, especially the more modern fusion styles. And from my sort research, there seems to be a lot of talk of Gospel being this root. So in an effort to research and learn yet more, I've began looking in to Gospel, not something I've ever really done, so am finding it a bit hard to locate the information I'm after. What key practitioners should I look at from a trad root sense? And who are the key players in the modern Gospel scene?

Finally, is there much of a Gospel scene in the UK, it's not something you hear talked about too much, even among musicians!

Cheers Ladies and Gents!

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1458600950' post='3009075']
[url="https://youtu.be/pATcvr3zAhg"]https://youtu.be/pATcvr3zAhg[/url]
I dont know the gospel scene that well but for me some of the best players especially groove players come from a gospel background
Sharay Reed is one of the best around i reckon !
[/quote]
Cheers buddy, knew bits about Sharay, never looked in to his playing much, but watched that video 3 or 4 times in a row now and his technique, rhythm, stylistic appreciation, and note choice is utterly superb! Perhaps he might be playing too many notes, but he adds such a very good melodic and rhythmic quality to the arrangement!

Hi James,

I primarily play gospel. You've already had some great suggestions, but a few others to check out would be:

Contemporary Artists: Marvin Sapp, Kurt Carr and The McClurkin Project (all busy and American)
Bassists: Justin Raines, Maurice Fitzgerald and Fred Hammond (also a writer, singer and producer)
Trad. Artists: Andrae Crouch, Walter and Edwin Hawkins and Rev. James Cleveland (all American)

There are of course many more, but you should find useful info and links from these names as you peruse YouTube, Wikipedia and the like. There is also a British 'scene' which is heavily influenced by American styles.

Enjoy the search!

Tobie

I've been into Gospel for a few years now. There are so many gospel bassists. huge amount. Dale Black is incredible, Gouche. Dale Black Maurice Fitzgerald, Reggie Young. I love a band called New Direction, they are just superb. They are so good, but i don't know the bassist. For general Gospel check out Fred Hammond, Hezekia Walker, New Direction are by far are the best urban gospel band that has ever past my ears. The album is called Send the Praise. You will never forget buying it. its just incredible. The bass playing is just… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA2lwHQXYKo

[quote name='tobiewharton' timestamp='1458850415' post='3011623']
Hi James,

I primarily play gospel. You've already had some great suggestions, but a few others to check out would be:

Contemporary Artists: Marvin Sapp, Kurt Carr and The McClurkin Project (all busy and American)
Bassists: Justin Raines, Maurice Fitzgerald and Fred Hammond (also a writer, singer and producer)
Trad. Artists: Andrae Crouch, Walter and Edwin Hawkins and Rev. James Cleveland (all American)

There are of course many more, but you should find useful info and links from these names as you peruse YouTube, Wikipedia and the like. There is also a British 'scene' which is heavily influenced by American styles.

Enjoy the search!

Tobie
[/quote]
Hey Tobie,

This is all fantastic information!

With regards to the British "scene" where would you say it is based and what British artists should I check out?

Once again man, cheers for all the tips!

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1458885461' post='3011805']
I've been into Gospel for a few years now. There are so many gospel bassists. huge amount. Dale Black is incredible, Gouche. Dale Black Maurice Fitzgerald, Reggie Young. I love a band called New Direction, they are just superb. They are so good, but i don't know the bassist. For general Gospel check out Fred Hammond, Hezekia Walker, New Direction are by far are the best urban gospel band that has ever past my ears. The album is called Send the Praise. You will never forget buying it. its just incredible. The bass playing is just… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA2lwHQXYKo
[/quote]
Awesome band! The groove is so infectious and the melodic playing is just so good! Cheers Bubinga!

In the UK Gospel, like the stuff you have heard in previous posts is hard to find. There is a church in Gloucester near to where i live that plays Gospel, but it is quite traditional. Thats not a bad thing. London and Birmingham have a great gospel scene. Incognito's finest Randy HOPE Taylor plays in a great gospel band in London. Unfortunately bands Like New Direction don't exist in the UK. Thats the great heritage of black music in the US, it created music like that.

Edited by bubinga5

Hi James,

As Bubinga5 rightly says, it is a different story here in the UK. There is a 'scene', but simply not the market to support many recording artists. Also, unlike in the US, here there is less of a culture of gospel musicians playing secular music professionally, so the 'exposure' for church-based players is limited. There are exceptions, but this is the trend. Nevertheless, there is a wealth of talent here. There are thriving Pentecostal churches in most cities and even some small towns, where congregations worship through both traditional and contemporary gospel styles and musicianship is consistently outstanding. New Testament Church of God and Church of God of Prophecy are two such churches with congregations throughout England.

I hope that helps a bit!

Tobie

[quote name='tobiewharton' timestamp='1458945057' post='3012400']
Hi James,

As Bubinga5 rightly says, it is a different story here in the UK. There is a 'scene', but simply not the market to support many recording artists. Also, unlike in the US, here there is less of a culture of gospel musicians playing secular music professionally, so the 'exposure' for church-based players is limited. There are exceptions, but this is the trend. Nevertheless, there is a wealth of talent here. There are thriving Pentecostal churches in most cities and even some small towns, where congregations worship through both traditional and contemporary gospel styles and musicianship is consistently outstanding. New Testament Church of God and Church of God of Prophecy are two such churches with congregations throughout England.

I hope that helps a bit!

Tobie
[/quote]Thats what i wanted to say ya bugger.! :D

I would give my eye teeth and a few other bits to play Gospel. Trouble is I'm a total non believer which kinda puts me at a bit of a disadvantage....but to be on a stage grooving with all those fantastic voices, it really moves me, gives me the shivers in a very good way
Check this incredible stuff out and what an amazing bassist too.
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pATcvr3zAhg"]https://www.youtube....h?v=pATcvr3zAhg[/url]

Edited by ians

I am in Bangor, North Wales. If it was happening around here I would know about it! I was just wondering about pointers to places in London or Brum where it is happening, for future reference for me or for anyone else reading the thread really.

Hi Owen,

The only specific congregations that I know outside of Manchester are New Testament Church of God (NTCG) churches. NTCG Handsworth (240-244 Lozells Road) is a large church, NTCG Harvest Temple, Wolverhampton (173 Wednesfield Road) and Dudley (Holly Hall Road) are smaller. NTCG Willesden (179 High Road) and NTCG St Judes, Elephant and Castle (Bickels Yard, 151-153 Bermondsey Street) are two in London, but there are many more. There's a list here:
[url="http://www.2chaseprojects.co.uk/2C176/about-us/find-a-church/"]http://www.2chaseprojects.co.uk/2C176/about-us/find-a-church/[/url]

Hope they're useful,

Tobie

https://www.facebook.com/TheKingdomChoir/videos/115905408800139/

I have come across and had the honour of playing with some fantastic gospel players\singers here in Hertfordshire/London
a lot of pro players come through from gospel music scene as its such a great learning school

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1458984007' post='3012548']
I am in Bangor, North Wales. If it was happening around here I would know about it! I was just wondering about pointers to places in London or Brum where it is happening, for future reference for me or for anyone else reading the thread really.
[/quote]

There's probably not much like that happening at your local chapel. :D

[quote name='tobiewharton' timestamp='1459002033' post='3012739']
Hi Owen,

The only specific congregations that I know outside of Manchester are New Testament Church of God (NTCG) churches. NTCG Handsworth (240-244 Lozells Road) is a large church, NTCG Harvest Temple, Wolverhampton (173 Wednesfield Road) and Dudley (Holly Hall Road) are smaller. NTCG Willesden (179 High Road) and NTCG St Judes, Elephant and Castle (Bickels Yard, 151-153 Bermondsey Street) are two in London, but there are many more. There's a list here:
[url="http://www.2chaseprojects.co.uk/2C176/about-us/find-a-church/"]http://www.2chasepro.../find-a-church/[/url]

Hope they're useful,

Tobie
[/quote]
That is a great source! Cheers Tobie!

And thanks again to everyone else who has posted in this topic, it's been a great help!

Are there any Gospel based books for learning theory/changes/arrangements etc from?

Cheers all!

Sadly, you are correct. People mutter about how cool it would be to try some of it. It would be a horrible car crash.

But thanks Tobie for the list. Where in Manchester?

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1459011567' post='3012860']

There's probably not much like that happening at your local chapel. :D
[/quote]