Why become a member? ×

Fret buzz - left hand side of the fret

zvirus

Hello,

Anyone came across fret buzz before fretted string? I mean slight buzz between the saddle and pressed fret which actually cant be hear on the amp but can be heard while practising without the amp or headphones.

In most cases it`s E string.

I found it only on basses with "proper" setup at the nut and small neck relief. Low action on saddle makes the string almost lying on the frets
Can mute it using my left hand.

Just want to ask is it normal? As found this in boutique bass as well as made in china set up by myself.

Thanks
Tomas

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1457701522' post='3001099']
If it's not being amplified then most players wouldn't regard it as a problem.
[/quote]

I agree, just want to know if is it common. Had it on Mayones Jabba, Fender USA, and have it on Harley Benton Now... All set up very low at the nut.

I would assume the lower the action the more rattles & buzzes you'll hear when unamplified, especially if you don't play with a featherlight touch.
I don't know personally as I've always preferred my action on the medium to high side.

I write this assuming you mean buzz at the nut and fretted note?
It is back buzz. It's basically caused by low relief or v low nut. Also commonly found on basses "correctly" set up or basses that are badly set up too.
It the string vibrating on the frets behind the fretted note, one cure is to add relief the other is not to have too low a cut nut.
Test for too low cut a nut by fretting each string at the third and tapping the string at the first fret there must be a paper thin distance there and not! the string lying on top off the first fret. Sometimes this can happen with extreme reliefs too. Relief should be at least .07 but more likely .10 - .15 measured at the 7th fret while first and commonly 17th fret held down.

Of course as said the nut slot can indeed be a tad too wide or the string not having good break ankle at the peg not enough windings causing the downward pressure. Common on fender E and A strings.

Reason it's not there amped is because the pickups only capture noise after the fretted note to the bridge.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1457725916' post='3001399']
I write this assuming you mean buzz at the nut and fretted note?
It is back buzz. It's basically caused by low relief or v low nut. Also commonly found on basses "correctly" set up or basses that are badly set up too.
It the string vibrating on the frets behind the fretted note, one cure is to add relief the other is not to have too low a cut nut.
Test for too low cut a nut by fretting each string at the third and tapping the string at the first fret there must be a paper thin distance there and not! the string lying on top off the first fret. Sometimes this can happen with extreme reliefs too. Relief should be at least .07 but more likely .10 - .15 measured at the 7th fret while first and commonly 17th fret held down.

Of course as said the nut slot can indeed be a tad too wide or the string not having good break ankle at the peg not enough windings causing the downward pressure. Common on fender E and A strings.

Reason it's not there amped is because the pickups only capture noise after the fretted note to the bridge.
[/quote]

Here we have really good explanation. Relief is 0.3mm (sorry I use metric only) And E string has wee gap after fretting at 3d fret. I`d say nut cut is not too low. Why? No buzz at all on an open E string(!). I`d say the gap size is exactly as You will fret the bass on 1st and then 4th fret. You know what I mean?
Its not an end of the world. I was wondering is it normal? Or maybe I go a bit too low with filing the nut. By this I can have very low action even on crappy bass. I mean under 3mm E string XII/12 fret...

Edited by zvirus

[quote name='zvirus' timestamp='1457727880' post='3001429']

Here we have really good explanation. Relief is 0.3mm (sorry I use metric only) And E string has wee gap after fretting at 3d fret. I`d say nut cut is not too low. Why? No buzz at all on an open E string(!). I`d say the gap size is exactly as You will fret the bass on 1st and then 4th fret. You know what I mean?
Its not an end of the world. I was wondering is it normal? Or maybe I go a bit too low with filing the nut. By this I can have very low action even on crappy bass. I mean under 3mm E string XII fret...
[/quote]

0.3mm is way too much twice to three times to much on average.
Any bass even with a relatively high nut should be easy to get under 3mm with correct relief and adjustment of the bridge saddle screws.
Don't adjust the height by the nut slot. Although a low cut nut does contribute to a good action it's only a small part.
Not sure what you mean 3mm at the 7th fret?

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1457738650' post='3001559']
Any bass even with a relatively high nut should be easy to get under 3mm with correct relief and adjustment of the bridge saddle screws.
Don't adjust the height by the nut slot. Although a low cut nut does contribute to a good action it's only a small part.
Not sure what you mean 3mm at the 7th fret?
[/quote]

0.3mm way too much???
[url="http://www2.fender.com/en-GB/support/articles/bass-guitar-setup-guide/"]http://www2.fender.c...ar-setup-guide/[/url]

Recommended relief is 0.2-0.7mm depending on fretboard radius/make ect. Besides Low action at the nut = good intonation, low string action from 1 to 21/24 fret. Nearly every new bass I ever touched had WAY too high action at the nut maybe except boutique basses as these are made and set up by luthiers not carpenters.

I meant action under 3mm E string frets 12 to 21, you CAN NOT achieve this if your brand new bass has action like 3mm from top of the 1st fret(very common) at the nut. Trust me.

Anyway case closed. Im glad Im not the only one who spotted this little issue which actually is not the issue.

Thanks again!

ps. XII means 12 not 7 ;)

Edited by zvirus

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1457738650' post='3001559']
[/quote]

3mm is too much, 0.3mm isn't. One is ten times the other. That's for relief, not 12th fret string height.

Edited by tauzero

I've got this on the A string on my '79 Jazz, and I know it's because there is not enough downward pressure on the nut. This is because I made a schoolboy error and cut the string too short (D'Addario black tape wounds), which means there is one full turn less on the tuning peg than the other strings. I only noodle with it at home, I gig with something a bit lighter (it sounds nice but weighs a ton!) so I live with it but it is, I must say, annoying.