Why become a member? ×

Faulty Pickup selector switch on Ibanez AFB200 Semi Acoustic

I purchased the bass from an eBay seller in Switzerland, good price even after the customs and Parcel Force charges.

Only problem is the pickup selector is faulty, there is no switch "action", the physical switch moves freely from one side to the other, it never engages. There is also some movement from top to bottom too, not just left and right.

The seller has apologised and said that they will cover luthier charges to fix or take the bass back and give me a full refund.

I could take to to get it fixed, but as I sit here looking at the bass, I cannot see how the luthier could get decent access to the switch mechanism to fix it. The switching mechanism inside the bass is too big to access through the switch hole in the top of the bass and there is no rear access. I presume they would have to remove a pick up and try and fix it through that hole, which would necessitate a setup as well as extra money for labour.

Has anybody had a repair like this, if so how much did it cost to fix?

Thanks

Mike

[quote name='basskit_case' timestamp='1457272017' post='2996882']...
Has anybody had a repair like this;;;
[/quote]

From the 'stock' photos I see, the switch is adjacent to the lower 'f'-hole, so unscrewing the retaining ring would allow the whole switch to be teased out through there, I would think..? That's how it's done with my Verithin bass pots, and my other arch-tops; no luthier required if you can obtain an equivalent switch and do the soldering. A luthier won't charge the Earth for doing that, either, if you're not keen yourself. The most fiddly bit is coaxing the switch back up through the body from the inside using only the tips of one's fingers, but it ain't difficult, just fiddly.
If that's not the case with your bass, maybe a photo or two would help..?

[quote name='basskit_case' timestamp='1457274621' post='2996916']...
Just wondering if it's viable to fix it, don't think I could reliably fix this myself!...
[/quote]

Take it to a decent repair bloke (preferably who knows about arch-tops of any sort...) and that'll get fixed in minutes. It's definitely worth getting done, and won't cost much if you're not sure of doing it yourself. Nice bass; get it up to tip-top condition, it's well worth it.

Here's the useful tip :) Tie some fishing line or strong cord securely to the shank of the switch. Double strand, good length. Carefully undo the mounting bezel - this is where you slip and scratch the bass so use masking tape, cardboard etc. The switch can be brought out of the f hole and fettled. If it is an open mechanism Switchcraft type they usually 'fix' with some 'bending'. If not solder a replacement in and pull it back through hole with the cord. Wish I had known this when I fixed a semi for a friend in my youth. Plan A - take to tech guy also sounds good.

Could you post a review of the bass when it is sorted, the price on Ebay was good and full hollow basses are of interest to me at the moment.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1457297460' post='2997187']
Here's the useful tip :) Tie some fishing line or strong cord securely to the shank of the switch. Double strand, good length. Carefully undo the mounting bezel - this is where you slip and scratch the bass so use masking tape, cardboard etc. The switch can be brought out of the f hole and fettled.[/quote]

This is how I've seen it done. When it came to undoing and replacing the switch bezel they put maskking tape all round it and used a socket from a socket set but without the handle on it, just finger-tight.
On the OP job it would be easy to use a finger poked inside to hold the switch in place while it's tightened.

Good news, all fixed.

Took it to a local guy Monday lunchtime and it was ready by early evening.

He rebuilt the existing switch as they are apparently good quality. Very pleased.

Pleased I put this thread up, otherwise I would have sent the bass back, thanks for your help