Why become a member? ×

NDB : Early 1970s Gibson EB-3L

chriswareham

I've been enjoying my bargain basement Avon EB-0 copy so much over the last year or more that I decided to splash out on a Gibson EB. A good example of of the long scale EB-3L model popped up on eBay, so I took a punt. It's an absolute beauty, with a serial number that dates it to somewhere in the very early 1970s (hard to be exact, as Gibson's numbering scheme was a bit random around this time). The sounds from the "mudbucker" neck pickup and Varitone control may be an acquired taste, bit I'm absolutely loving them!

Any other users of this unusual bass on here?

Yes, I have a 69 slot head EB-3L.

Only gigged it once, at a blues gig through an Ampeg stack, but sound was enormous.

Can see myself keeping mine into old age as it is so light - nothing to the body weight-wise, the bucker does all the work.

Nice score!

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1457226611' post='2996595']
Two point bridge and solid headstock points to 1972 or early 1973. Enjoy :)
[/quote]

That was my conclusion as well. The seller said he thought it may be from 1970, and one online serial number suggested that year as well. However, they were only built with "slot heads" like Mickeyboro's one until about 1971. Gibson used the 800000 range of serial numbers in 1969-70, and then restarted using it around 1973-74. Regardless of when it was made, it's a great instrument and I'm looking forward to trying it cranked up at the next rehearsal :D

I don't know the serial number of your bass - but if it is an 800000 it will most likely be a '73. The slotted headstock models changed to the solid headstocks around serial number 728xxx, and they were getting '73 dated pots by 778xxx.

I know there is supposedly a lot of randomness in Gibson serial numbers, but there is actually quite a lot of order amongst the randomness too.

Very nice bass - here's mine - allegedly once owned by Jack Bruce - but I have no proof of this!
[url="http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/1972gibsonEB3L.php"]http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/1972gibsonEB3L.php[/url]