Why become a member? ×

Tokai Thunderbirds

BASainty

As some of you may know I'm on a quest to get a thunderbird. I've looked at a good few options and I've been offered a Tokai Thunderbird. Looks stunning in black with white pickguard, set neck and really looks the part. Question is, are they any good? Is there anything I should be careful of when going to view it?

What I do know is that the guy bought it from new in 2012 is that helps?

Edited by 4StringFortress

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1458741706' post='3010401']
From what I've heard, and of course it's only hearsay
The newer Tokai instruments are not as good as the 1980's equivalents
But then, I've heard of a few people who like their relatively "new" guitars too
[/quote]

It depends where they are being made. In the 80s all Tokais were MiJ and the quality was exceptional. These days they are made all over the place. The MiJ models are still exceptional but we rarely see them in the UK and they are no longer the relative bargains that they were back then. Most of what turns up here (especially the basses) is from the cheaper end of the range, mainly made in China, and unfortunately of about the same quality as any other half-way decent instrument from that country.

I had one for about six months - a beautiful looking white Korean made thing.

The built quality wasn't a problem, but the weight and sheer size was.

I couldn't get thru a full gig wearing it. I never thought my P bass was particularly lightweight either at 4.3kg, but swapping to that halfway thru a gig was like nestling into an old pair of slippers.

I got a chance to play Basschatter Norris's real Gibson T Bird at the bass bash last year and I'm happy to say it was nothing like the Tokai - it was sleek, slim and rather dashing.