Why become a member? ×

Two Basses Two Amps One Tuner

drewk_ie

So I have a little bit of a dilemma, looking for someone with the know-how to set things straight. Currently I'm playing with a roots fused Americana act, so I'm switching between electric bass and a Kala U bass.

As both instruments are completely different I'd like to split them going into my Phil Jones suitcase which has two channels, but control both basses with one tuner (tuner must be able to mute both basses during the live gig), I would also like to carry my own DI for FOH.

What I currently have available to me is a Boss TU2 tuner and a Boss LS2 line selector, I'm thinking that I might need a dual DI, maybe a radial JDI duplex or something along those lines..

What is the most efficient way of connecting up a system that will cover what I need, without being too complicated?

All help and suggestions greatly appreciated

Cheers

I tried something similar - trying to get two separate channels into a Di before the amp and then back out into two separate channels again. It was a mess of cables and a pain in the butt.

Best I can suggest is that you use your amp as you have been - two separate channels - then plug your tuner into the effects loop send or a dedicated tuner out if your amp has one. This would work but depends on your amp having a mute switch the kill the signal to the DI and speaker.

Thanks for the advice Gareth, unfortunately there's no mute option on the amp for tuning. I'm now thinking of using two LS-2s before and after the tuner...

Two basses into the first LS-2, set to switch between two inputs one output to the tuner, then out of the tuner into the second LS-2, having this one set in reverse to the first, one input two outputs, onto both channels of the amp. That way I can tune either bass with no interference to the gig.

I know it means having to hit two pedals when I want to change bass, but I think it should solve the problem.

Some of the Bright Onion Pedals A/B swtching boxes include a tuner-mute switch and output. He is based in Brighton I believe and will build to order.

I think all you need though is a box with two switchable inputs ( A/B ) to 2 switchable outputs ( X/Y ), one for fhe tuner. The switch box then does the muting and the tuner is not part of the input path.

Edited by DBerriff

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1457252651' post='2996639']
Some of the Bright Onion Pedals A/B swtching boxes include a tuner-mute switch and output. He is based in Brighton I believe and will build to order.

I think all you need though is a box with two switchable inputs ( A/B ) to 2 switchable outputs ( X/Y ), one for fhe tuner. The switch box then does the muting and the tuner is not part of the input path.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info... I'll do a search for bright onion pedals and see if they tick the boxes...

Cheers

I'd look at the various switching pedals made by Lehle. Not cheap but really good quality. http://lehle.com/EN/AB-Switcher

You'd need two Little Lehle II pedals, one before and one after to take the two signal chains down to one pedal and then back out to two.

Some of their more complex pedals may give you a more "one box" solution. However, it strikes me that since each bass effectively seems to have its own channel that the simplest approach might be just buying a second tuner...?

Edited by TrevorR

Can I just check...

Are you planning on a single DI channel for both basses or a DI channel each? Will the bass be going into one channel of the amp while the Kala goes into the other channel or will they share a channel? Or do you envisage either bass swapping to either channel?

If the answer I each bass has its own channel on the amp and its own channel on the desk the simplest solution has to be two tuners, two DI boxes... Unless you're thinking about a different, more versatile switching set up. Would be helpful to have a bit more clarity on your envisaged signal paths...

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1457358175' post='2997674']
Can I just check...

Are you planning on a single DI channel for both basses or a DI channel each? Will the bass be going into one channel of the amp while the Kala goes into the other channel or will they share a channel? Or do you envisage either bass swapping to either channel?

If the answer I each bass has its own channel on the amp and its own channel on the desk the simplest solution has to be two tuners, two DI boxes... Unless you're thinking about a different, more versatile switching set up. Would be helpful to have a bit more clarity on your envisaged signal paths...
[/quote]

With only one DI going to the console, the tech will have to either use a compromise sound for both instruments, or juggle each time they're switched. Surely this would imply two separate DI feeds to the console..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1457358416' post='2997680']

With only one DI going to the console, the tech will have to either use a compromise sound for both instruments, or juggle each time they're switched. Surely this would imply two separate DI feeds to the console..?
[/quote]

Sorry, should have been more clearer... Yes, two seperate DIs one for each bass, and both basses to a separate channel on the amp each... As sgsjx mentioned above a tuner for each is the easiest solution...

Cheers for all the comments everyone!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1457358416' post='2997680']

[/quote]

Indeed, just checking there wasn't some reason that blending down to one signal at some point was required ( even though that would be a compromise on the desk). Occham's razor wins... Two DIs and two tuners...