Why become a member? ×

New bass incoming - damned GAS - Yamaha SB 35

Paul S

One of those moments when you've never clapped eyes on something before then, as soon as you see it, you know you must have it. I saw this on eBay and it ticks an awful lot of my boxes. I put in a lowish bid - less than I think it is worth - and won!

Symmetrical double cutaway, medium scale, 40mm at the nut, not heavy (8.5lbs), single pickup, passive, early(1973) MIJ.

Should be with me by the middle/end of this coming week. Hope I like it!

Anyone ever had one/seen one/played one? What little there is on the interweb about these indicates they are fairly rare.

Didn't see that one. If I had, you likely wouldn't have got such a bargain!

One of these came up a few years ago, I was very interested then but missed out. Very, very rare bass - wonder if this is the same one?

Gorgeous thing IMO, I love the Yammy SG shape.

Jon.

Ta. [/smug] :) Jon, the seller bought it new so it must be another.

He (Gary Hurlstone - anyone heard of him?) said this:

It's played everything from prog rock to Punk Zydeco, reggae, Cajun, blues, folk and jazz and has shared stages with Thin Lizzy, Eric Burdon, spent a few evenings in the Cavern Club and a host of other venues as well as just about every university in the north of England before I stopped being a bass player and concentrated on the acoustic guitar.

I've asked him if he could flesh out the history a bit. I suspect that won't be a problem :)

Roll on Wednesday! :)

Edited by Paul S

Hi Paul S,

Yes, GAS can be an awful thing - but if you've got this cheap and you enjoy playing it, where's the problem? ;)

70's & 80's Japan built stuff can be fantastic quality - really underrated IMO
But it does seem to be gaining fans, and financial value recently
Let us know how you get on with it. I might be tempted for something short scale, small bodied myself soon - if/ when I sell my US Precision

Cheers :)

Well, it has arrived a day early. Filthy dirty and strings are knackered but, my oh my, does it sing :) Lighter than I hoped, no neck dive, really low action with no buzzes. A bit of fret wear but nothing excessive, given that it is 43 years old. Oozes quality. I'll post some pics once I've cleaned it up.

• 2 years later...

Well Paul S , I've had my SB-35 for some years and will never part with it. In case you didn't find the full info on them... 31.5" scale, Katsura body, Maple neck with Rosewood fretboard. Made between 1972 - 1975. Two years since your post but only just joined the forum. Still got it?

Hi Martin

Thank you for that.  There is very little information about them on the interweb. 

I do still have it but find myself a little torn as to whether I should keep it or not. I only play 5 string basses now and the SB-35 hasn't been out of the gig bag for about a year, sadly, which seems a shame.  Then again, if I sold it, I am fairly sure I would never get another and they are pretty special things.

And welcome to Basschat, btw :)

Paul