Why become a member? ×

New Band - covers this time

dmccombe7

Been asked to learn set for a covers band who are looking to replace their existing drummer and bassist mid-April. Drummer not physically fit after heart issue and bassist doesn't want to lose him.
Not sure about being underhand like that. If they can do it to original members then newbie will be easy prey.
Blues Rock covers and afraid to say Mustang Sally is in there :lol:
Not my usual kind of band but they have some really good gigs lined up for 2016.

Any thoughts ?
Should i just go for it and be cautious or give it a miss ??

Dave

If your diary isn't packed with gigs for the coming year and it looks like it will be fun / make a few quid then why not?? Looks like the drummer is not going to be up to playing for a while and the current bass player doesn't fancy it without him.

Having said that you can always be prepared to leave if you find them untrustworthy going forward...!

You have to be practical.

If this guy's on the skids it's nothing to do with you, but if you don't replace him someone else will, so it might as well be you.

I've been playing with my current covers band (through various changes) for nearly 10 years. Sometimes it's been my main band and sometimes it's been the diary filler, but if it's done properly a good cover band is worth playing in.

IMO Mustang Sally is a great number if you can play it like the Wilson Pickett version (Tommy Cogbill on bass).

I'd want to be very sure they weren't stabbing the previous band members in the back. If it's time to move on and they have talked it through with them then fine, I just can't work with people I don't respect. Band members don't need to be best mates but playing with a bunch of S***s is no fun.

As to covers, you just have to make your mind up. Play them with good will, as well as you can and you'll get great audience reaction and regular gigs. It's really good fun IMO. If you are going to resent the songs then why play in a covers band?

Lot of good points and coming from both sides too

1. go for it cause they are gonna replace them anyways and might as well be me
2. Going behind the existing members backs without agreement kinda thing makes you uncomfortable.

I'm seeing from both these oints of view but gonna go for learning the set and if it happens it happens.
The choice of songs is pretty good and they have a pretty solid gig list for 2016 from Glasgow to Isle of Arran to Sutherland in North of Scotland.

Haven't met the guys yet but i think i'll like playing the songs as there are some good classic rock songs in there too like Hush, Born To Be Wild and few Queen songs. A pretty good mix to be honest.
I've always put 110% into playing whatever it is i'm doing. I like putting aggression into the rock songs and balance that with the mellow style for slower ballad style songs.

Will see how it pans out tho.
They're not great at communication and takes them days / week to reply to messages and it gives me some doubts as to their commitment to the change.

Dave