Why become a member? ×

Bass Day Nov 9th

Monz

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='327937' date='Nov 12 2008, 08:57 PM']Went to see Janek in Altrincham on Monday night, and my mate wasn't too impressed initially with his tone either, but it just sat beautifully with the piano and drums in a little upstairs jazz club. A ton of treble would've just been pointless. (And that's coming from someone who likes really bright strings and quite a trebly tone from my bass).[/quote]
I was there too, and really enjoyed the gig, along with getting to know the guys, wicked people and musicians! The drummers Dad is Phil Upchurch who has played for alot of people... The piano player was next level, Ive never heard a player like it. As for bass tone, its a $10000 bass, you couldn't get it to sound sh#te even in the hands of a beginner imho

See you again, again, tmrw ThunderThumbs! :)

Hey Bassheads!

I see Gary beat me to it, saying thanks to you guys, but I wanted to give a large shout to you myself as well. You were GREAT!! The vibe was excellent, and so many of you showed your faces, feeding the event with positive energy. [b]BIG BIG THANKS![/b]

Also large thanks for expressing your views and opinions, it's very important for us to learn how we can improve our event.

Great to meet some of you, I know I'm rubbish at remembering names/faces/birthdays/other, so I'll probably be just as happy to make your acquaintance again next year. I do tend to make new friends every day again, like that. :)
Last year's example -
Ped: Hi I'm Ped, good to see you!
Me: Hi, great to see you too, have we met before?
Ped: It's me, Ped!
Me: Sorry.. I know I'm rubbish.. How did we meet again?
Ped: The forum and we talk on MSN!
Me: Whats your name again?
Ped: Ped!
Me: I'm not sure..
Ped: We've been chatting on MSN for years!
Me: What's your MSN name again?
Ped: Ped!
Me: Lemme think...
Ped: The Basschat forum!
Me: Bass chat?
Ped: You gave me that picture to use for a cover!
Me: I did?
Ped: Yeah!
Me: Tell me more..
Ped: We have talked sometimes on a two daily basis! Talked about basically life, music, school, bass, everything and anything! Ped!
Me: Oh hang on.. it's you! Ped! Why didn't you say so in the first place! Great to see you! :blush:

I'm good like that. Life is just great, making the same new friends over and over again. I got it right with Ped this year though, so I must be improving.. hehe.

But yesh, anyway. I'm really happy you all enjoyed the event!! I haven't had much time, since I've come back, but check MySpace for picture updates soon. If you would like your picture on our Myspace, or Facebook, do bring it on! email: [email protected] for Myspace or just upload it at Facebook.

Next year!!
-Pris

Edited by Pris-

Will try and get a few high (ish) res shots on here, feel free to use these as you wish!

The light had a touch too much red/orange in it all day, I guess it emits a feeling of warmth? a bit of variation would have been nice, maybe some blue!

First up, TM, with a little dread blur!

Edited by sshorepunk

Hey guys - I just wanted to add a big shout out to Gary Pris and Stevie. UK bass day is a phenomenal event and events like this are so important for developing a sense of community among the musicians in this country.

It has a great range of gear and a top shelf line-up of artists - I went as a performer but also as a fan and had such a fun day. It was great to see Janek play again and cool to hang with him. I was gutted that I couldn't get there early enough to see Yolanda.

Richard Bona is a beautiful human being and for me, a musician with few equals. Awe inspiring.

Also, a big thank you to all the people that came and watched my trio perform - you were a great audience - there was such a fantastic energy coming from the crowd and I really can't describe how vibed up I was. It was a bit mad. It definitely goes in the book as one of my most enjoyable playing experiences ever. Honestly.

I noticed a chap in the audience was recording it on a video camera... I'd love to get a copy for the college website and for my own Youtube. If anyone knows that man... hook me up!!

roll on Bass day 2009...

d

Hey Dave,

Yeah, really enjoyed your performance. Nice little trio. Really nice and simple, and at the same time very effective.

It was a good idea to a point to put that stage out in the cafe area, as it almost "made" people listen, rather than shuffling off to a smaller theatre.

Really enjoyed a lot of what you had to say [i]about[/i] the bass too. All the "how to/not to play" stuff. I know loads of guys that'd rather have a hold it down and play root notes 4/4 style bass player, than have the latest Jaco/Victor/Marcus/Stanley et al trying to force themselves to the forefront on every given opportunity.

Large thanks to you as well, Dave! I thoroughly enjoyed your stuff big time. The sound as well as your style was sooo crisp, and round, and bouncy, and bright, yet full. Brilliant!
BTW, did you ever get my text, which I sent seconds before I bumped into you?

A slapping ban... I'll might suggest to Stevie and Gary to use thumb bands, instead of wrist bands.

Thanks SShorepunk for the pic! I'll collect some more, and stick them on Myspace. Thanks for the goodwill! xxx!

LOL@Ped :) - Hope to hook up soon, wear that LED badge so I'll recognise you? :huh: :huh: :huh:

Maybe a bit off topic but we had a Bass meeting in Holland with more than 100 bassplayers (everyone brought basses along so there were hundreds of different basses to try out)... Great thing that Michael Manring was passing through Holland and was so kind to give a clinic and talk to the bassplayers (I went to a restaurant with him and some other bassplayers).. This is a picture of us all (if you can spot Manring in the middle, he wears a baseball-cap)
I'm at the left side of the picture holding up the "highest" bass (My Shedua Wal MKI)
What a day !

[quote name='johnnylager' post='329025' date='Nov 14 2008, 12:19 PM']Pris - who was responsible for the abberation that was the headstock in the banner ad? Name & shame...[/quote]

It was The Bass Day UK Team's responsibility, and on behalf of the Team, I sincerely apologise if it offended anyone. :blush:

That Dutch bass bash sounds good, who organised it and where was it held?

-Pris