Why become a member? ×

Getting the best out of octave pedals

Rick05

Hi,

I have been working on building a pedal board and have been using an Fender Jaguar -> Aguilar octamizer -> big muff -> VT Sansamp -> practise amp (full board below), but have been having problems with getting the best out of the octamizer.

I am finding it really hard to get rid of tracking problems when using the octave pedal with sustained notes and playing two or more strings at the same time makes the signal break up and the octave pedal struggle with holding the chords.

If anyone could help with this problem, whether it is altering my playing style or recommended settings on the pedals I would really appreciate it, I really want to get the best out of the pedal,

Thanks,

Rick

Yes, analog octaves can't do polyphony so more than one string/note is a no starter (unless you're specifically looking for the glitches which you obviously don't).

Long notes also tend to "warble" or just fade away on my octamizer as well. If you want much better tracking, get a digital octave (some will also give you polyphony). I have the Mooer Tender Octaver for that (and it also has an octave up). The way I see this - If I want good tracking, I use the Mooer. If I want the octave to sound good - I use the Octamizer. Alas there is no way to win them all with this one...

I saw this TC BH250 review the other day. Around 1.50 he puts in an octave toneprint which tracks down to the low B, and it tracks chords too. I haven't used this octaver myself so I can't comment on it further but having picked up a Corona chorus recently I can say the tone print thing is great and very tweakable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WFrPr_40d8

Edited by ratman

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1456222657' post='2986692']
Running a compressor before the octave may help, particularly with the sustained notes. Unfortunately, though, analog octavers tend not to be able to handle polyphony so the chords may have to go.
[/quote]

Along these lines I was wondering if anyone here runs through a noise gate before going into an octaver ?