Why become a member? ×

using amp head without cabs

jayv

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and UK. I've been doing some research about this but found a wide range of answers so I thought it's better if I ask it here.

Can I plug in headphones to an amp head and play it without using cabs? I'm just here to study so I'm thinking about getting a lightweight head with no cab. Looking at the Ampeg PF350 right now.

Thank you !

I used to do it with my old Hartke 3500 , but I've since read that it could potentially damage the amp.

The sound only came through one side of the headphones which was annoying, I presume because the speaker output is mono, not stereo.

Rereading your post if you don't actually have amp here yet try looking for one with a dedicated phones output. I think a few of the class Ds have them.

Further edit.

In fact having looked at the ampeg you mentioned it does indeed have a dedicated headphones output. They wouldn't have included it if it was going to damage the amp so you should be golden.

Edited by Cato

It's not a good idea to plug headphones into a speaker jack, whatever the amp. Headphones don't have the right impedance for amp o/p, and will certainly be damaged when too much signal is applied to them. An accidental movement of the volume knob and your ears will meet in the middle of your head. Use an amp with a dedicated headphone socket, never the speaker sockets.

Thank you for all the (very) fast and detailed replies ! So it's a yes then.

Regarding the headphone amp - I might look into that now that you've said it, but what I thought was if I could get a decent, lightweight head amp (like the ampeg i mentioned) second hand at a good price it'd be nice as I can take it with me when I leave UK in years time too. Hard to find decent ones with decent price in my country.

I'm open to any recommendations on the amp if you guys have one ! :)

yup had a look at the B3 and it suits my needs and is pretty cool. but I can get my hands on cheaper (second hand) pf350 so I'm not to sure what I should go for now :/ how does a PF350 a[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]t around [/font][color=#878787][font=arial, sans-serif-light, sans-serif][size=1][url="https://www.google.co.uk/search?sa=X&rlz=1C1CHWA_enTH673TH674&biw=1280&bih=619&q=define+%C2%A3&ved=0ahUKEwiBpu7q-ZPLAhXmYJoKHdZgDfUQ_SoIHzAA"]£[/url][/size][/font][/color][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]100 sounds? around 2-3 years old, some cosmetic marks, not heavily used, works fine[/font]

If you are thinking of adding a cab later on then definitely go for the PF350, looks a nice piece of kit and has a headphone out and Line in, so I presume you can listen to music and play along through your headphones which is really useful. If you fail to bag the PF350 then I would highly recommend the B3, it is what I use all the time when practicing and is extremely versatile. Unfortunately you will struggle to find a 2nd hand one which tells me people don't easily part with them.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1456180297' post='2986433']
It's not a good idea to plug headphones into a speaker jack, whatever the amp. Headphones don't have the right impedance for amp o/p, and will certainly be damaged when too much signal is applied to them. An accidental movement of the volume knob and your ears will meet in the middle of your head. Use an amp with a dedicated headphone socket, never the speaker sockets.
[/quote]

You'll probably kill the headphones in a microsecond if you plug them into the speaker out... the output there is much higher than any headphone output.

[quote name='JammyJim' timestamp='1456487266' post='2989489']If you fail to bag the PF350 then I would highly recommend the B3, it is what I use all the time when practicing and is extremely versatile.[/quote]

Likewise. My GK MB500 amp has a headphone socket which is perfectly safe to use without a cab, but I use a B3 for practice because it has

Amp modelling
Built in tuner
Looper
Drum machine
USB in/out interface for my computer so I can play along with tracks on there.

That it also does tons of effects is almost secondary. Most of the time I'll just make judicious use of chorus and/or reverb.

As a further bonus, for some gigs where it's been necessary for reasons of time or space, I've simply used the B3 DI out straight into the PA.

I bought my B3 in the classifieds here for about £100 in pretty much as-new condition.