Why become a member? ×

Need some help with new Fender Jazz.

maxrossell

Hey guys. I just bought a used MIM Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass from 2003 (the one with the Suhr pickups and preamp) and I have a question about the 3-band eq boost/cuts. The third knob is a stacked bass and treble, both of which are centre-detented, so no mystery there. However the fourth knob is the mid boost/cut as far as I know, but it isn't centre-detented, so "neutral" is a best guess at around halfway up. Is that right or am I missing something? If it is right, why isn't there a notch?

Thanks for any help or advice you have for me.

That's what I thought...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to address this? Assuming I don't just find a setting I like and tape it down, is there an easier method for addressing this than just replacing the pot with a centre-detented one?

I'd be interested to hear from people who have a similar control setup on their basses as to how they use theirs when they play. I'm not much of a fiddler as a rule but it seems a shame to have such a versatile bass and not use it to its full potential.

I don't want to sound ignorant - but can't you use your ears?

I'm pretty sure that depending on your playing, the strings your using, the pickups in the bass, the effects you run (if any), the preamp in the amp, the cab or cabs in your rig, and a few other things your EQ will be different in each situation (e.g. something as simple as switching to stainless steel strings for me makes me want to EQ totally differently, especially in the mids). Put simply I don't think there is a "flat" sound on anything - just good for this and good for that!
If I'm not mistaken the 2 band Stingrays use potentiometers without centre detents - but given the "bridge" position of the pickup it's kinda like soloing the bridge position on a Jazz - You may wish to boost bass and low mids to get a more "precise" tone if you know what I mean. I'd say start with the mid knob rolled 3/4 up - rolling back to half or even 1/4 if it sounds off - then tweak it very slightly when you've got the bass and treble how you like it!

Yes, set to taste... there is no point to a centre indent if the sound doesn't do it for you.

I would tend to prefer a swept mid anyway... but that mid pot is your varible 'tone control'.
the treble and bass stack are the ones to leave alone for the gig...IMO

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1455314772' post='2978209']
The mid cut/boost on the USA versions certainly are, so I'm not quite sure what's happening there.
How sure are you that the control plate is the original?
[/quote]

The one on my old 1997 MIM Deluxe Active Jazz was as well. I reckon that pot for sure has been replaced.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1455367371' post='2978461']
I don't want to sound ignorant - but can't you use your ears?
[/quote]
[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1455368207' post='2978470']
Yes, set to taste... there is no point to a centre indent if the sound doesn't do it for you.
[/quote]

Both very valid points. However I'm sure you'll agree that frequently in gig situations the monitoring isn't what it could be, and what is heard on stage isn't the same as what's heard FOH, so having a detente would be a useful reference point, especially for a control with such a pronounced effect on the tone.

I have on a couple of occasions played half a set with the tone rolled all the way off, or only one pickup engaged, and not realised until I happened to reach for the control to tweak it (I'm also a lead singer so my focus isn't always 100% on the instrument).

Because the EQ controls are all cut/boost it would make sense to me to have an "off" position on the pots (as there is on the bass and treble). I have opened it up and as far as I can tell it's all original. There's no evidence of any work done at all, I bought it from the original owner, and frankly he isn't the kind of guy to have stuff repaired (the bass spent most of its life gathering dust in storage with a busted string). It's an 02/03 model.

Interesting maxrossell - I hadn't thought of it from the perspective of a singing bassist. I agree it might be useful to have an "off" position, or at least a known position. If you want to keep the hardware stock (assuming it is) you might try marking the control knob (e.g. gluing a drop of epoxy to a metallic knob & mount the knob so it faces straight up or down when the pot is on approximately 50%). That way you only alter the knob and not the electronics. You could then"feel" the mark almost as easily as a detent.