Why become a member? ×

New old bass

GregBass

Let me tell you a little story .....

Back in 1972, I used to play in a country and western band making a few quid so decided to invest in a shiny new Rickenbacker 4001. Unfortunately, a couple of years later I had to sell it to raise cash my first house. Then, out of the blue, the guy who bought it from me got a message to me asking if I wanted it back - I hadn't even spoken to him in the intervening period! So, after 10 minutes playing it was returned to the fold. I am just hoping the photo will post OK .....

[quote name='GregBass' timestamp='1454349823' post='2968865']
Let me tell you a little story .....

Back in 1972, I used to play in a country and western band making a few quid so decided to invest in a shiny new Rickenbacker 4001. Unfortunately, a couple of years later I had to sell it to raise cash my first house. Then, out of the blue, the guy who bought it from me got a message to me asking if I wanted it back - I hadn't even spoken to him in the intervening period! So, after 10 minutes playing it was returned to the fold. I am just hoping the photo will post OK .....

[/quote]

C'mon, a wee bit more detail, length of time separated, how was contact made etc, etc. 😊Great story.

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1454445655' post='2969881']
C'mon, a wee bit more detail, length of time separated, how was contact made etc, etc. Great story.
[/quote]

I sold the bass in 1975, so we were apart for 41 years!!

In the meantime, I moved away from the town, was divorced after a 22 year marriage and then met up with a lovely lady from my home town (trust me, it's all relevant lol). Her brother invited us out to see a local band, and the guy who had bought the Rick was at the gig - and also knew the brother! He came over to chat, was introduced to me and it all went from there! Of course, we had both changed so much in the intervening years that neither would have recognised the other.

All in all, the happiest of coincidences - and he even sold it back to me for a great price!

[quote name='GregBass' timestamp='1454483997' post='2970087']

I sold the bass in 1975, so we were apart for 41 years!!

In the meantime, I moved away from the town, was divorced after a 22 year marriage and then met up with a lovely lady from my home town (trust me, it's all relevant lol). Her brother invited us out to see a local band, and the guy who had bought the Rick was at the gig - and also knew the brother! He came over to chat, was introduced to me and it all went from there! Of course, we had both changed so much in the intervening years that neither would have recognised the other.

All in all, the happiest of coincidences - and he even sold it back to me for a great price!
[/quote]

Ah, that's better.Thanks a million! 👍