Why become a member? ×

Music Shops in East Midlands/South Yorkshire Area?

rbatts2000

Hi all

I will be purchasing a new bass in November/December time and was wondering which places (in the East Midlands/South Yorkshire area) I will need to check out. I already know about Electromusic in Doncaster but I would like to visit a few shops to try out as many basses as I can. I live in Lincoln and anywhere within a couple of hours drive would be fine.

I am (almost certainly) buying a Stingray, but I could be tempted with other options as and when I see/try them.

Many thanks

Rick

[quote name='rbatts2000' post='286577' date='Sep 18 2008, 01:05 PM']Hi all

I will be purchasing a new bass in November/December time and was wondering which places (in the East Midlands/South Yorkshire area) I will need to check out. I already know about Electromusic in Doncaster but I would like to visit a few shops to try out as many basses as I can. I live in Lincoln and anywhere within a couple of hours drive would be fine.

I am (almost certainly) buying a Stingray, but I could be tempted with other options as and when I see/try them.

Many thanks

Rick[/quote]

IMO, you'll struggle to do better than Electro in S Yorks and E Mids.

Others you could try are Music Inn and the Drum & Guitar Centre in Nottingham. Both decent shops, with helpful staff, but the bass stock is a bit limited.

Music Scene in Mansfield is surprisingly good for a small shop. They've usually got one or two interesting items in there, and I think they had a new Stingray on the wall last time I visited (would be worth phoning to check though). They also have a small selection of used/vintage stuff which is nice to browse.

Otherwise, I would go a bit further afield and pay a visit to PMT in Birmingham. Best shop in the Midlands bar none.

[quote name='OldGit' post='286592' date='Sep 18 2008, 01:20 PM']Have a look through this thread?
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27195&hl=shops"]Good bass shops thread[/url][/quote]

Heh heh. I did a quick search for a thread like that before posting this one and couldn't find anything suitable. Typical! :)

I've not been there yet but Music Scene in Mansfield are now dealers for Ernie Ball so if it's a stingray you're after I guess that's the place;
[url="http://www.music-scene.co.uk/guitars.htm"]http://www.music-scene.co.uk/guitars.htm[/url]
Nottingham's gone downhill, unless they've perked up a bit I wouldn't bother with the miserable old cow that runs Music Inn frankly.

[quote name='KevB' post='286660' date='Sep 18 2008, 03:09 PM']I've not been there yet but Music Scene in Mansfield are now dealers for Ernie Ball so if it's a stingray you're after I guess that's the place;
[url="http://www.music-scene.co.uk/guitars.htm"]http://www.music-scene.co.uk/guitars.htm[/url]
Nottingham's gone downhill, unless they've perked up a bit I wouldn't bother with the miserable old cow that runs Music Inn frankly.[/quote]
Its okay as a shop. They had a black cutlass on the wall, also an "earthquake-damaged" no-name jazz bass.

Lady at Music Scene has always been very nice to me, maybe you caught her on an off-day?

There's a good but small shop in Nottingham off mansfield road across teh top of the forest (near the fancy dress shop)

[quote name='Geek99' post='286668' date='Sep 18 2008, 03:40 PM']Its okay as a shop. They had a black cutlass on the wall, also an "earthquake-damaged" no-name jazz bass.

Lady at Music Scene has always been very nice to me, maybe you caught her on an off-day?

There's a good but small shop in Nottingham off mansfield road across teh top of the forest (near the fancy dress shop)[/quote]

I tried out the ''Earthquake Damaged Jazz'' last time I was there - Looks and sounds pretty good for under £200!

[quote name='Geek99' post='286668' date='Sep 18 2008, 03:40 PM']There's a good but small shop in Nottingham off mansfield road across teh top of the forest (near the fancy dress shop)[/quote]

Unfortunately it's now closed, and the 70s clothing shop has relocated there...

Is the Bolin still in Music Inn or have they finally managed to sell it?

Personally I couldn't recommend any of the Nottingham shops at the moment for bass purchases but then my tastes to run outside of the mainstream.

[quote name='simon1964' post='286590' date='Sep 18 2008, 01:19 PM']Otherwise, I would go a bit further afield and pay a visit to PMT in Birmingham. Best shop in the Midlands bar none.[/quote]

I've seen many recommendations for PMT. But when I go on their website, there seems to be limited choice. Mostly Ibanez, some Trabens (reviews of which seem mixed, though at one point I was attracted to the Array in the same way that a Magpie goes for shiny metal objects), a couple of Line 6 basses, and a Washburn acoustic. Is the in-store selection wider? Otherwise, it seems a good shop to visit if they have what you want, but not for general browsing. Is this wrong?

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='287014' date='Sep 19 2008, 07:54 AM']I've seen many recommendations for PMT. But when I go on their website, there seems to be limited choice. Mostly Ibanez, some Trabens (reviews of which seem mixed, though at one point I was attracted to the Array in the same way that a Magpie goes for shiny metal objects), a couple of Line 6 basses, and a Washburn acoustic. Is the in-store selection wider? Otherwise, it seems a good shop to visit if they have what you want, but not for general browsing. Is this wrong?[/quote]

The in store selection is much wider than the stuff on their webiste. They stock a good range of Fender, Musicman, Sandberg, Ibanez, Line 6, Ashdown, Yamaha etc. Also a good range of effects. Well worth a visit.

The selection of Sandberg stuff is usually worth a visit on its own!

Edited by simon1964

I was in there the other day and they have quite a stock of Musicman inc. a Bongo 4, they seem quite flexible on price too

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='286582' date='Sep 18 2008, 01:11 PM']Sam Hurst who is the manager at Reverb in Sheffield is a top bloke with a good reputation. But I honestly don't know the stock that they carry or if their prices are good or not.[/quote]

[quote name='rbatts2000' post='286577' date='Sep 18 2008, 01:05 PM']Hi all

Many thanks

Rick[/quote]

Electro music is probably one of the better shops in S.Yorks, though its a little bit of a hit and miss in my opinion to whether they will have a stingray in stock. Sound Control at Manor Top in Sheffield have quite a good stock from what ive seen and always a musicman, though Electro is the better shop and in a far pleasanter area, i certainly wouldn't waste any time between getting from the car and the shop in manor top :S

I once had to change a wheel on manor top after a puncture... whilst I was jacking the car up a scraggy jumped in the car and started ripping the stereo out, when I asked him what he thought he was doing, he replied... "Well, if you're having the wheels, I'm having the stereo!"

:))

Seriously though, since reverb have taken over the stock of basses seems miles better and there is secure(ish) parking to the rear of the store

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='288836' date='Sep 21 2008, 10:36 PM']Electro music is probably one of the better shops in S.Yorks, though its a little bit of a hit and miss in my opinion to whether they will have a stingray in stock. Sound Control at Manor Top in Sheffield have quite a good stock from what ive seen and always a musicman, though Electro is the better shop and in a far pleasanter area, i certainly wouldn't waste any time between getting from the car and the shop in manor top :S[/quote]