Why become a member? ×

Small wiring repair price

bonzodog

Sorry if this should be posted in repairs.

Just plugged in my bass to rehearse for tomorrow night and no sound. After a bit of playing about I removed the volume knob and when I waggled the pole it sits on the bass came back on and then became intermittent when I waggled it.

Obviously a loose wire but as I have absolutely no skills in what to look for or how to repair it, I will have to take it to a shop. There are 2 shops fairly local to me who I know do repairs but I've never used them before so have no idea how much they will charge.

Anyone know roughly how much I should expect to pay for what I assume is just re-connecting a wire and hopefully a simple job? Just don't want to get ripped off.

Its only a cheap JHS Vintage so not overly happy about spending too much on it. Fortunately I do have (an even cheaper) bass I can use for tomorrow night

Thanks in advance

The 'volume knob pole' shouldn't waggle in my experience, so it could be the volume pot that needs replacing? Or like you say, a loose wire/dry joint. Shame you don't live closer as I could of done this for you for nothing. Its only a small job. Maybe someone on here who lives a bit closer could take a look?

Jas

[quote name='Bigjas' timestamp='1453477262' post='2959870']
The 'volume knob pole' shouldn't waggle in my experience, so it could be the volume pot that needs replacing? Or like you say, a loose wire/dry joint. Shame you don't live closer as I could of done this for you for nothing. Its only a small job. Maybe someone on here who lives a bit closer could take a look?

Jas
[/quote]

Thanks for the offer. I only waggled it when I undid it with a spanner so am sure it's just a loose wire. Don't mind taking it to a shop as the one I have in mind is 5 mins away. I just wanted to know in advance what he may (or try to) charge me.

Honestly its not much that can go wrong on a passive bass going on my personal experience a good guitar tech would probably look at replacing the pot , because either the soldier has become loose on the wire or the pot is very close to failing

Any guitar tech is probably going to cost you a minimum of £50 pounds , However I'd strongly urge you to take a look as it yourself , you can learn an awful lot ... and its actually ridiculously easy .

All you need is one of these , because if a wire has come loose a its a minute job with a soldiering iron to just re- melt the solider and get a good contact.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/duratool-ZD-407-40-Soldering-Iron/dp/B00XMRPMUG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453478206&sr=8-2&keywords=soldering+iron"]http://www.amazon.co...=soldering+iron[/url]

Failing that you could replace the whole Wiring Loom yourself with one of KiOgon's famous soldierless looms :-)
If you muck up with the solidering iron ... its still going to be £50 at the tech ;-)

Edited by synthaside

I know the local guy who does my set ups charges £15 for advice and small jobs, which might include resoldering a loose wire but probably not fitting a new pot.

Your best bet is probably to contact a few people & see if there's a standard local fee for this kind of work.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1453487934' post='2960028']
Maybe we should have a directory for local BCers open to doing some small-scale works on basses?

I would also be happy to do it, but Staffs is a good stretch from here too.
[/quote]

Good idea. I'm always happy to help out anyone who needs a bit of soldering done.

Shame Staffordshire is so far away.

Edited by obbm

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1453478617' post='2959894']
...you could replace the whole Wiring Loom yourself with one of KiOgon's famous solderless looms...
[/quote]

+1. John uses the best components, there's no soldering and his prices are extremely reasonable. The kits includes pots, wiring and cap. It's laughably easy to fit. Even I can do it. Great value, too. It will take you ten or fifteen minutes, if that. Recommended! :)

Edited by discreet