Why become a member? ×

Dale Griffin (Buffin) M T Hoople

oldbass

Very sad. Always loved Mott - although I was only born the year they split.

I even had a letter printed in Kerrang! in the early 90's asking for a Mott discography (pre-internet of course), so I could (and did) collect all of their records. Great albums.

Also a talented producer for the Peel show for many years as well.

I'm cranking up 'Brain Capers' as I write. Timeless music which will never grow old.

Such a sad loss, the drummer for my all time favuorite band Mott The Hoople, he had been suffering from [color=#404040][font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Alzheimer's disease for years, such a vicous disease ! - RIP Buffin :([/size][/font][/color]

[color=#404040][font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]John[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1453199500' post='2957246']
The R&R lifestyle....guess it catches up in the end....and sadly so it seems sooner than later.
[/quote]

Dale begged to differ in an interview about his Alzheimers in 2010

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/190765/Despite-dementia-I-m-still-the-same-person-inside

[quote]Not that he is likely to be recalling any wild and hedonistic antics. He and almost all of his fellow band members were articulate, clued-up ex-grammar school boys from the Welsh borders, committed musicians and none of them were ever interested in getting stoned or wrecking hotel rooms.

Nor was Dale the hellraising extrovert many imagine anyone in a hit band in the decadent Seventies must have been. He was always the thinker of the group, the one who wrote long erudite articles for New Musical Express and contributed to the band’s fanzine. “I was never a drinker or did any of that other stuff. People who do that kind of thing tend not to live very long,” he says, displaying a touch of the bone-dry sense of humour that made him firm friends with the late DJ John Peel.

Both he and Jean feel it is important to get this part of their experience straight because it particularly angers Jean when assumptions are made about Dale’s lifestyle in his early years on the road with his various bands. “We’ve even had a health professional suggest it’s no great surprise that a man who spent his early adulthood in a rock band has developed Alzheimer’s disease and you would really expect someone like that to know better,” she says.

“There is such a lot of ignorance surrounding the subject. He’s always been in good health and there is nothing in Dale’s early life that would have made Alzheimer’s any more inevitable for him than it is for any other sufferer. We both want to do what we can to dispel these kinds of myths.”

“Tea,” adds Dale with a shy smile. “We drank a lot of tea.”[/quote]

Edited by cybertect

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1453199058' post='2957239']
At a time when the general population seem to live into their late 80/90s, we seem to be losing a lot of celebrities very young. All very sad.
[/quote]

I wouldn't call late 60s 'very young'.
Quite a large proportion of the general population who are in their 80s/90s are in a pretty bad way.
I'll happily die in my late 60s if it means I don't end up like my parents were in their 80s.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1453245186' post='2957887']
I'll happily die in my late 60s if it means I don't end up like my parents were in their 80s.
[/quote]

I used to say that when my late 60s were a lot further away. :unsure:

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1453197940' post='2957226']
Another of those musicians that I grew up with as a young teenager no longer with us.
[/quote]

RIP. Very much a fan. I'd only just finished reading Ian Hunter's diary about their tour of the States in 1972. Different world.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1453245186' post='2957887']

I wouldn't call late 60s 'very young'.
Quite a large proportion of the general population who are in their 80s/90s are in a pretty bad way.
[/quote]

I get that, even with good genetics 80s & 90s are rough.

Well, Chuck is still gigging and he's in his 90s. And I think Mick will keep doing for a few more years.

Blue