Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Fender Modern Player Jazz Five (5) String - Premium Upgrades
£499

therealting

Fantastic bass with tight low B string and all the right upgrades. John East J-Retro Deluxe preamp (over £200 on its own) absolutely transforms this bass and turns it into a tonal monster. Also has Warwick adjustable brass nut to tweak your setup (also makes open strings more even with fretted notes), Hipshot string retainer, custom tortoise pickguard (significantly nicer than the stock black). This bass looks and sounds the absolute business.

* Excellent condition with very few marks
* Satin Olympic White alder body
* Maple neck
* Rosewood fingerboard with 20-frets
* 34" scale
* Tappable humbucking pickups (split, series, parallel)
* John East J-Retro Deluxe preamp upgrade with 3-band EQ, sweepable mid and passive tone control
* Passive / active switch
* Heavy duty Badass-style bridge
* Warwick brass nut upgrade
* Custom 3-ply tortoiseshell pickguard

Photos here:
[url="https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ra7r46i43a44k04/AACrvpnROwf6MhOZMQHMO14ta?dl=0"]https://www.dropbox....ZMQHMO14ta?dl=0[/url]

Based in SE London. Would consider trades (with cash in appropriate direction) with Dingwall Super P or J, higher-end Precision or Jazz basses, PRS or Gibson ES339. Also have a few other items for sale or trade.

Edited by therealting

Four strings would have to be vintage-vibed (Precision or Jazz really), a little bit more open to fives or even sixes with more narrow spacings. I find myself heading back towards more vintage-vibed instruments these days. This one actually ticks most of my boxes, but my Sadowsky has spoiled me for weight etc.

Edited by therealting

PM replied. As stated above, it is Chinese made but they've done a great job. As a seller I would obviously be biased in saying that the quality compares to MIM or MIJ instruments... I can't speak for them all, but I will say that I was pretty shocked when I first picked it up, it's a very good bass and certainly holds its own amongst more expensive company.

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1452732314' post='2953053']
PM replied. As stated above, it is Chinese made but they've done a great job. As a seller I would obviously be biased in saying that the quality compares to MIM or MIJ instruments... I can't speak for them all, but I will say that I was pretty shocked when I first picked it up, it's a very good bass and certainly holds its own amongst more expensive company.
[/quote]

I have one of these (unmodified though) and the build quality and playability really is excellent - even more so at this price point.

GLWTS :)

[quote name='GazzBass' timestamp='1452768184' post='2953192']
Sorry, didn't quite come across as meant :PThese are very good as stock, Mods make this one exceptional :D
[/quote]

Oh don't worry, I didn't take it that way! (:

I didn't realise the Roscoe Beck pickups replace them, would probably have tried that.

This bass has now been sold and has left for its new home. Thank you to everyone for their interest. I still have a bunch of guitar stuff available here if it tickles anyone's fancy:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/276805-lots-of-interesting-guitars/page__pid__2952614#entry2952614