Why become a member? ×

Budget Alembic pickups

The-Ox

Alembic pickups don't really have a sound - they are very low output, wide frequency response...then the electronics take over. Two options come to mind, get something similar made (Aaron is excellent) and use a John East filter style preamp - pretty expensive and not really sensible for a Squire. Or get the flatest response EMG's that will fit in the bass - they use the same idea as Alembic, but put the (simpler) micro preamp in the pickup moulding.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1452167717' post='2947148']
Alembic pickups don't really have a sound - they are very low output, wide frequency response...then the electronics take over. Two options come to mind, get something similar made (Aaron is excellent) and use a John East filter style preamp - pretty expensive and not really sensible for a Squire. Or get the flatest response EMG's that will fit in the bass - they use the same idea as Alembic, but put the (simpler) micro preamp in the pickup moulding.
[/quote]

thanks! I had John in mind already :) Aaron Armstrong looks decent too!

anyone had experience with John's guitar electronics?

My ACGs have J East electronics in them and very good they are too. You can buy a filter preamp from Alan at ACG but the are not so cheap, however they will get you to that sound. They do pop up on here occasionally too. I actually have an ACG Jazz type bass with the simpler version of the filter preamp call an SEQ: [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/portfolio/0200ss-j-type-4/"]http://www.acguitars...200ss-j-type-4/[/url]

Have a look on the Design dropdown and click the electronic link for more info.

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1452169445' post='2947174']
anyone had experience with John's guitar electronics?
[/quote]

Yep. I've had an East pre in a stingray which was awesome and now i have one in my Jazz and that too is absolutely brilliant. John is a really nice chap so why not give him a call, tell him your end goal and he'll tell you if he can help you achieve it (I'd be amazed if he couldn't).

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1452182066' post='2947366']
Yep. I've had an East pre in a stingray which was awesome and now i have one in my Jazz and that too is absolutely brilliant. John is a really nice chap so why not give him a call, tell him your end goal and he'll tell you if he can help you achieve it (I'd be amazed if he couldn't).
[/quote]

cheers mate, I've had a talk with him :)