Why become a member? ×

Ear plugs. Aaaargh

Dan Dare

We all wear quality plugs in our band (functions) and we don't have issues. We have a great pa so use that to get correct foh level and our onstage level is generally very low. Imo not wearing plugs is pretty daft.Occasionally at larger shows we use in ears where it's not an issue. anyone who plays for us and then turns up his / her volume throughout the gig to the point that they start to blow the mix gets one warning. If they continue to do it they're out. Luckily we don't have any morons in the band so it's not a common issue.
Very rarely do we play pubs but if we do will usually have some mics on the kit. Our regular drummer is more than happy to play quietly whilst still maintaining great energy and dynamics. Mics on drums is fine anywhere if done to get a full sound. Using mics and making the kit too loud for the venue is no different to having your amp too loud.

If I'm playing drums in a medium sized pub, there won't be any mics on the kit. In order for the snare to have the necessary impact at the back of the room (relative to the volume of the rest of the band), I will play it moderately loud, and to do this without damaging my hearing, I wear ear plugs.

I get frustrated with the rest of the band who refuse to wear earplugs as I worry that I'll do them damage

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1451900942' post='2944320']

I get frustrated with the rest of the band who refuse to wear earplugs as I worry that I'll do them damage
[/quote]

If they're aware of the risks & are still refusing to wear hearing protection then they are responsible for any damage to their hearing.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1451834154' post='2943797']
In our old punk covers band the guitarist wore ear plugs. Then turned up much louder than the rest of the band as he couldn`t hear himself anymore.

So he ended up hearing himself at exactly the same volume as before the ear plugs were inserted, but now everyone else was deafened by him.

The thought of inserting his 412 into another of his orifices else occurred to the rest of the us.......................
[/quote]
IME this is actually usually a case of not having a well defined sound, so it gets lost in the mix hence the turning up

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1451902306' post='2944331']
If they're aware of the risks & are still refusing to wear hearing protection then they are responsible for any damage to their hearing.
[/quote]

Well, I've tried to explain, but they're all 15 years older than me and have stories about putting their heads in the bass bins at motorhead gigs etc. which is obviously "rock n roll"

Sorry Dan. Can't be with you. Earplugs are absolutely essential. I've had tinnitus for over 20 years due to playing in bands and wouldn't be still able to play in rock bands without them. However, I do see your issue but have this to say; people wearing them are defeating the object if they want to hear themselves as loudly as they would be without them. Getting a good band sound is about working together. If someone is too loud because of ear plugs, they are the problem, not the ear plugs.

I believe everyone should be wearing ear plugs and if the relative volume is an issue then backline and band members can be moved around the stage or invest in a 'more of me' personal monitoring system or PA with Aux buses.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1451855034' post='2944124']
Not sure how wearing earplugs (as I do occasionally) makes people turn things up? I turn mine up until I am level with the drums and guitars. With earplugs on everything gets quieter, not just me, so the balance is the same....
[/quote]Exactly this. So long as the earplugs attenuate reasonably evenly across the entire frequency range everything gets quieter, they won't single out just one instrument. If the wearer complains that they can't hear themselves with plugs in they're either a) using the wrong type of plugs (or filter) or b} using it as an excuse to turn up for egos sake.

[quote name='stevebasshead' timestamp='1451926477' post='2944663']
Exactly this. So long as the earplugs attenuate reasonably evenly across the entire frequency range everything gets quieter, they won't single out just one instrument. If the wearer complains that they can't hear themselves with plugs in they're either a) using the wrong type of plugs (or filter) or b} using it as an excuse to turn up for egos sake.
[/quote]
True and hence the argument for wearing good quality earplugs. The ACS custom moulds do it for me.