Why become a member? ×

So, i finally tried a Bongo...

Kev

[quote name='Kongo' post='551146' date='Jul 25 2009, 02:52 PM']I don't like the attitude of music shop staff members...All the MM basses have lazer fields and the like, should you even breathe on them!
Why should you buy without trying? They are there to test first and buy later if need be, just like a car showroom.
Hence, I don't use music shops any more...Going to buy strings and they don't even know what your on about and try to make YOU look stupid!?
I don't think so. :)[/quote]

See the recent 'Music Shop Bashing' thread.

They arre beautiful things, those contours are literally perfect...love it.

Check out my review (in the review section) of my HS.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='549690' date='Jul 24 2009, 06:35 AM']Sold a beautiful 97 Stingray 5, bought a Bongo 5 after trying one in the shop. Biggest mistake ever. It just didn't cut through live. Don't expect it to sound like a Stingray.[/quote]
That is interesting, as I found that live mine cuts through a whole lot better than my Ray. Love the Ray though, they are both badass.

Edited by Duarte

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='552809' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:22 PM']Just got a Bongo 5HH last week from bigwan. best one yet. :)[/quote]

...not as good as the 4 string I got off you mate! Good to see you're pleased with the 5. I'm very pleased with the 4!

Homerplaysbass had an absolutely [i]beautiful[/i] Bongo 5 a handful of years back, still, I think, one of the best basses he's had. It sounded immense and played itself, it was truly stunning. I remember Paul C had/has one too which was also outstanding.

Me? I think they look superb. Some colours look more attractive than others, granted, but the shape is just great IMO. Very nearly bought the one on sale from the Netherlands here recently, but just didn't have the brass.

• 4 months later...

I went and tried the bongo that has been sitting in a local shop for a couple of years, I bought a set of strings and it was empty so i asked to have a go....

not massivly impressed, construction was fine, although the painted neck reminded me of a dan electro, but i couldnt coax any sounds out out of I would want to use. It sounded very clinical. I'm sure it's a lovley bass, and I don't mind the look at all, it just sounds odd.