Why become a member? ×

Hollowbody relics, Gibson EB2 etc - Feedback ????

Jigster

I guess it ultimately depends on what volumes one deploys, but any experiences of how bad this can get with all that hollowbody thing going on?

For example, I love the sound the guy in Black Rebel Motorcycle Club creates - who plays an EB2, I believe, but how might he control all that??

I've got two hollow bodies. The first is a wide bodied Eko that only has a small block down the middle. At high gain levels I accidentally blew up a valve amp with it, but now know the warning sign (a deep throbbing sound). The other one is a Shaftesbury Rickenfaker that looks like a Rick guitar. Never looked inside the body, but perhaps because it's much thinner than the Eko it doesn't suffer feedback problems.

My Verithin bass is hollow, and can easily be coaxed into a very musical howling. That's how I like to play, so that's fine.
Listen to much of Jefferson Starship's 'Blows Against The Empire' to hear Jack Casady getting superb energy-driven larsen from his (much-modified...) Guild. Superb. Any bass that [i]won't[/i] do that is not worth having, I'd say..! :P

http://youtu.be/sa5yFYyZuSg

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1450812150' post='2936142']
Warwick Star Bass that I have has a solid centre block too and no probs with feedback other than some comment on its appearance.
[/quote]

My Warwick Star Bass feeds back very nicely [b]WHEN I WANT IT TO[/b] with the right gain and drive settings on my BassPod.

The EB2 doesn't feedback that easily - you have top stand right near your amp, and often fret a certain position to get it going. A couple other (non-centre-block) basses I have feedback much more readily - i'm thinking my Hagstrom Concord, Fender Coronado, and Hofner President - again fretting certain positions help. As well as the obvious centre block issue, perhaps the slightly noisier single coils just help get it started?