Why become a member? ×

Importing a Bongo 5 HH Stealth / Blue Dawn

Monz

Ok here's the deal...

I really want either Blue Dawn or Stealth Black Bongo 5 HH

Stealth black seems to be out of stock everywhere in the UK and Blue Dawn being a 2007 Ltd edition are crazy money. Bass Central in the US are outing the Blue Dawn for $1500 ish so to my reckoning thats £750 plus 21% in VAT and import tax and the shipping so at worst it's looking like £1100 instead of the ~£1700 UK price

Am I missing something here or are my sums near the mark?... £600 seems a fair saving to me

Well, given the rapid fall in the £ against the $ in recent weeks, you’d be better to factor on $1.75 to £1.00 - but remember that HMRC uses its own currency conversion rates, which are published on its website. The 21% is also more likely 21.5%. You’ve also missed the Customs clearance fee, which can be anything between £8.00 and £25.00 depending on carrier. And depending on method of payment, you may also have a surcharge to pay.

Edited by noelk27

blue dawn finished are pretty damn hard to come by, so the US is likely to be your only option there, although the 2007 model, isnt that the one with the horrid 2007 inlay at the 12th fret?? if so, id forget that and try and find an earlier blue dawn finish, they ran the colour in 2000/2001 too (thats the period my blue dawn stingray is from). its an expensive affair though if you want to buy new, at current musicman prices, i dont think id recommend anyone to buy one brand new, they lose 1/4 value at least as soon as it leaves the shop!

[quote name='Platypus' post='283379' date='Sep 13 2008, 10:08 PM']EB don't allow any of the US dealers to export their (new) basses. Bass Central will tell you the same if you ask ( I have in the past)

P[/quote]
Bass Central DID offer to export a new MM sterling to me a couple of years ago - I would email them and check if I was you....

[quote name='peteb' post='283388' date='Sep 13 2008, 10:24 PM']Bass Central DID offer to export a new MM sterling to me a couple of years ago - I would email them and check if I was you....[/quote]

Fair enough worth checking out, though I called them last month and they said they couldn't do it and said the only way they could do it would be to sell to someone within the US. Then also said the the funds to pay for it would have to originate within the US. I couldn't order from UK, using my credit card for delivery within the US (my brother lives about an hours drive away from there shop in Florida)

P

[quote name='Platypus' post='283397' date='Sep 13 2008, 10:40 PM'](my brother lives about an hours drive away from there shop in Florida)[/quote]

Sounds like this could be resolved by a nice trip out for Platypusses' brother with a bit of paypal flying around beforehand, assuming they have one

[quote name='OldGit' post='283597' date='Sep 14 2008, 11:45 AM']Sounds like this could be resolved by a nice trip out for Platypusses' brother with a bit of paypal flying around beforehand, assuming they have one[/quote]

Crossed my mind - of course if you buy loally you then add the sales tax - think it's 5 % in Florida

Kinda lost interest in the whole thing in the end, partially due to scoring one of the Reverb/Sound Contol Spector NS5's on the cheap

P

I've bought a good few basses from the US but my experience can be summed up with one statement:
[b]
Don't have it couriered/posted[/b]

If you can bring it back yourself on the plane as hand baggage (I've done that twice with no problems at all) then it's well worth it. If it has to be shipped be very prepared to become one of the statistics. I've had many that shipped OK but it only takes one to get damaged and you will never want to do it again. It's a horrible experience when a bass gets damaged...

J