Why become a member? ×

Origin Cali 76 Compact Bass

funky8884

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1484740550' post='3217924']
How are people getting on with these?

I'm enjoying my Darkglass, but I'm wondering about a change, just because, GAS!
[/quote]

Id be interested to try one. The original Cali76 colours tone too much for me and, after ab'ing, the Darkglass was an easy winner. The compact is apparantly different, but still perhaps more of an effect than a neutral compressor.

I run a Cali-76-G and love it. I don't use the germanium drive as much in my current set up and would love to do a trade for the iron core TX version FOR the colour it adds. I'm not that precious about an über clean signal and the added oomph form the TX quite appeals. I have a pretty good sound as it is but I'm willing to take a bit of colour from a 76-TX

• 5 months later...

I ran the Darkglass, the Cali76G and the MXR M87 side by side at the same time.

First off MXR works well, but relegated to bronze medal position and out the door it went.
Long time spent with the other 2 and the DG is nice, it does colour the tone in a slightly warm fashion doing a good job.

The Cali76G (G dialled in just past 12 for me) is out of this world, as people say it is transparent, but it sprinkles fairy dust on the way and comes out with some form of magic that pushes your instruments sound in just the right way, it truly is amazing.

Now I haven't used the compact bass, but if they have shrunk their big 'uns into little 'uns and they run the same, you will not be disappointed at all.

Reason I got a big box?

I like big pedals, (my other is a LeBass)
I liked the Germanium part
Filled up thenpedal board to stop me during more, however I don't need more with this