Why become a member? ×

We all have to start somewhere

Nicko

Came across this quote on t'net.

[color=#252525][font=sans-serif] "I distinctly remember trying to play along to Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" – at first I just could not get it. I threw the guitar on my bed and walked out in a huff, but the next day I came back, picked it up and played it all the way through note-for-note! Once I got going, I started getting into bass-lines with a bit more subtlety to them...".[/font][/color]

[color=#252525][font=sans-serif]None other than Steve Harris. I must say it took me more than a day to get it right though.[/font][/color]

I hadn't heard that before but it is very cheering. I have often had the same thing happen to me. When learning and failing, it is surprising how much goes in. I think Going Underground was the last time it happened: I couldn't link the sections together properly and the next day it came together. I'm not quite as good as Mr. Harris, though!

[quote name='Mattpt85' timestamp='1449592115' post='2924966']
I find this with a lot of lines I'm trying to learn, get stuck and end up feeling a bit deflated then go back to it after it's had time to sink in mentally and I can usually do a lot better.
I need the time to play it in my head first!
[/quote]

Its this exactly for me. I had more trouble with Under the Bridge than anything else. It just took me ages to be able to "hear" the lines in my head.

This happens with me and always surprises me, so I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Just last week I was picking out parts for a few songs (A Forest by The Cure springs to mind) and found it awkward the first evening. The next day after a sleep I nailed it. I've heard sleep is when your muscle memory is truly built, so maybe that's why!

I'm not so bad at learning the bass lines (a lot of Lynott stuff is ridiculously easy) but the phrasing of his vocals over the bass lines often takes me a couple of weeks per tracks to get right - have a listen to Do Anything You Want To Do - that one kept me busy for far too long!