Why become a member? ×

SOLD: 1991 Yamaha TRB5P, Jade Green, HSC, Piezo, trade options updated!
£600

timmchale2009

So having purchased this little beauty at the tail end of last week from this here parish from Nik (silverfoxnik) I have had a day running it through my Ampeg and not for the want of trying this bass is just not for me so... I have amalgamated all the info from previous sellers and the previous thread and put it here so with out further ado.

I am asking back what I paid for it which is £540 cash or trade value of £600

Up for grabs is my Yamaha TRB5P in a lovely Jade Green.

So a little bit of the skinny on this beautiful beast;
Made in Japan
1991 model
Neck through design
Flamed maple cap on a maple body
Ebony fretboard
P/J pick ups
Piezo pick up
Active 2-band e.q.
String spacing is 19 mm at the bridge

The electronics all work fine except that there's slightly less output from the Piezo pick up on the G string; it's not very noticeable. Also they are a little hissy if you turn up the treble all the way, but otherwise, nothing too obtrusive at all for a 24 year old bass just thought I'd mention this in the interests of full disclosure etc.

10.4 lbs, Not the lightest of basses but with all those quality parts and lovely tonewoods, I'm not surprised really.

As I'm sure you know already, this first generation of TRB's were very high quality basses indeed!

Condition;
It is in very good condition for 24 years old, though nowhere near mint condition, but it's still pretty
Special... There aren't any fundamental problems with it either - all the electronics are fine, neck & frets are in good shape and the truss rod works fine... And Nik had it set up by Robert Vanderlinde of Levinson Guitars UK in September. The worse offender is a scratch that has gone through, which again I have added a photo of in the interest of clarity. It's not noticeable to audience and barely noticeable to player.

Reason for selling;
It's a really lovely bass, and it plays beautifully. However, in all honesty, I just can't get on with the active electronics! All my other basses of late have been passive models, and despite the fact that I have had this a very short time it's become abundantly apparent I prefer them that way.

Collection/Shipping;
I'm based in North East Wales, in Flintshire about 3 miles west of Chester and anyone local is more than welcome to come and give this a try.. However, I am happy to ship it (if that is your wish) via insured courier service, It will be shipped in a hard case and very well packed. Yes - I am happy to ship to anywhere in the UK and Europe.

I am happy to listen to sensible offers/trades. Trades must be passive, can be either 4 or 5 string! Preferably a Precision Bass, one of those that shall not be named, Lakland Bob Glaub etc

Anyway, thanks for looking and please PM me or ask away here if you've any Q's!

Photos have been borrowed from Pete.young who was one of the previous owners, sincerely hope you don't mind.

Edited by timmchale2009

This bass was mine for three months and whilst I had it, it reminded me of an Alembic Rogue I played once..

Not tonally of course, but in terms of the way it played; the build quality, the feel of that gorgeous 2-octave through neck and ebony fretboard and it's beautiful maple body.

The other brilliant feature is the P/J pick up configuration with the Piezo - absolutely fantastic versatility in that design.

If money was no object, I'd have kept this bass, stored it safely and kept it for those once or twice a year occasions when I gig with a band I'm in that plays Steely Dan covers.

Sorry its not for you Tim, but this bass is definitely 'The bass' for someone here in Basschat!

Nik

I'm not sure if I should offer this or not? Need the money so should sell it, but this Yamaha is delicious

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/272823-peerless-retromatic-b2-new-unused/page__fromsearch__1

Edited by 6feet7

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1447747032' post='2909883']
Shame you only want passive as ive a lovely spector I could trade 😉
[/quote]

I have infamously got a rubber arm... Your Spector does look rather nice ;-)....

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1447751067' post='2909912']
I'm not sure if I should offer this or not? Need the money so should sell it, but this Yamaha is delicious

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/272823-peerless-retromatic-b2-new-unused/page__fromsearch__1
[/quote]

That looks sublime, always been a big fan of Duesenbergs and the Peerless factory does send out some quality instruments, that said I'm not sure it's for me...